cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from the Canon Rebel t3i

mstu33
Contributor

Hello all! I would like some professional perspective on upgrading my Canon Rebel t3i.

Here's a little background: I bought the t3i in 2013 with little to no photography knowledge. After college, I landed a job as a reporter for a weekly newspaper, which put my t3i and skills to the test. My t3i was used pretty much everyday in the field for community events, portraits, breaking news shots and sports. It has been through a lot of wear over the past three years. 

I have since left the world of community journalism and now serve as the Marketing and Communications Director for a private boarding school. I am the school's primary photographer and have been shooting with my t3i. I have recently purchased a 50mm/f1.8, which has significantly upgraded my photos. I have also used it for producing short videos for the school. Other lenses I have include the kit 18-55mm (rarely used now that I have the 50 prime), Sigma 70-300mm/f5.6 and a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. I also have a cheap macro/wide angle lens extender. 

What would be a good upgrade for the t3i? I have been looking at the Canon 80D or 70D, but not sure if these are the best option for my work. I also use the camera for personal photography. 

Also I'd appreciate opinions on lenses - should I upgrade the body or just purchase more lenses? Thanks in advance for your expertise! 

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Either the 70D or the 80D would be a great upgrade from the T3i.  The 80D is a significant upgrade over the 70D, most especially when it comes to shooting video.  The 80D uses Canon's latest dual pixel technology, which allows the camera to auto-focus while shooting video with many Canon lenses, the STM lenses in particular.  I'd say, go for the 80D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A refurbished 80D is currently $850 at the Canon eStore - a good value.  You could probably sell your T3i for about $150. I just sold a T4i for $230. Another option would be to get a refurbished Canon T6s - currently $680.

If you plan on doing a lot of video work you should consider replacing your current lenses with STM verions of the canon lenses. Smoother, quieter focusing so you don't get AF noise in your videos.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 80D is a significant upgrade over the 70D, most especially when it comes to shooting video.  The 80D uses Canon's latest dual pixel technology, ...

Didn't that technology originate on the 70D?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 80D is a significant upgrade over the 70D, most especially when it comes to shooting video.  The 80D uses Canon's latest dual pixel technology, ...

Didn't that technology originate on the 70D?

Yes, it did.  The system has been vastly improved in the 80D, with better tracking, like facial recognition and tracking. 

When it comes to stills, the 70D has 19 cross type, AF points.  The 80D has 45 cross type, AF points, 27 of which are capable of focusing down to f/8.  The 80D is a significant technological leap over the 70D.

"Yes, it did.  The system has been vastly improved in the 80D, with better tracking, like facial recognition and tracking. 

...    The 80D is a significant technological leap over the 70D."

WOW, I didn't realize you had all these camera to test against each other.  Now we have a guy with hands on that can tell us the straight skinny.  Way to go!   Now you see why I buy and use so many lenses.  I need to know for myself.

Thanx

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Yes, it did.  The system has been vastly improved in the 80D, with better tracking, like facial recognition and tracking. 

...    The 80D is a significant technological leap over the 70D."

WOW, I didn't realize you had all these camera to test against each other.  Now we have a guy with hands on that can tell us the straight skinny.  Way to go!   Now you see why I buy and use so many lenses.  I need to know for myself.

Thanx

Surprise. 

I bought an 80D and gave it away to my father-in-law's younger brother, a former photo enthusiast who hasn't used his film cameras since they introduced dispoable cameras at the grocery stores.  Sat down and taught him how to use it.  As for the 70D, I looked over a used on at the local camera shop.  It was quite nice.

"Surprise"

Not really. You gave am opinion of the two and I have no reason to doubt you owned (or used) the cameras.  Do I ? Smiley Frustrated

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have been looking at the Canon 80D or 70D, ..."

From your post, I believe you need to consider the 7D Mk II.  It is a professional level camera. Your background sounds like you are ready for this step.  It is the same APS-C format as your current T3i.  Your lenses will still work  However, along with this upgrade you will probably want better lenses.  I would.

The 7D Mk II has a metal body and features that will serve you for many years.  It is most amateur's first step into a full bore pro camera like the 1Dx.

The 7D Mk II and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens would make a killer outfit.

EB

Thanks to all for your advice! 

I have been scoping the Canon refurbished cameras online. First, I have never purchased a refurbished camera, but from some reviews I have read, it is the way to go. 

Now I am torn between the 80D and the 7D Mark II. I know the 80D is newer, but what features does the 7D Mark II have that will make it more desirable for my work? 

Announcements