cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a t6 Pt 2

rpfannkuch
Contributor

I had another thread asking what should I upgrade from my T6 with, a 77D or T7I, they are options, I have around 760 as a tax return and I'm young, I'm still in high school, my mom wants to do some stuff with my car oil changes, etc which i'm a huge car guy, I'm also an automotive photographer, I've been looking at the 5DMKII, it isn't obviously hugely feature heavy, but I would think its a huge difference over my t6. My t6 has been holding me back for about a year now, I've had it a total of two years, The quality isn't where I want it.

My question is, is the 5D MKII a good choice? I shoot mostly portraits and automotive photos, along with rolling photos.

Here are some of my photo examples, The basketball photos were taken with a 6D MKII that I borrowed from my military school. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LsWcXtUNPh7ck3DZbD0sqil1b-72XRoZ?usp=sharing

23 REPLIES 23

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I'm still in high school, my mom wants to do some stuff with my car oil changes, etc which i'm a huge car guy."

I think you mom has the right idea.  Do not skimp on your car, or it will let you down when you need it most.  Oil changes are crucial, and inexpensive.  Skipping them leads to engine failure.  Besides, if you heed her advice, she may turn around and help you out with a camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As a retired mechanic & Corvette restorer don't neglect your oil changes nor any safety related maintenance or things can go wrong quickly. As for your question why do you think your current camera is holding you back & what lenses do you have? Many of your car photos look like a good polarizing filter migh be useful re glare & reflections.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I agree with the others, never neglect your car maintenance or it will get very expensive.  I do most of my own maintenance work and used the nice weather today to change the oil in my pickup, tractor, and backup generator, a total of 9 gallons of dirty diesel oil but anything that cleans up with soap and water isn't a real problem and I know that it is being done properly with the right grade and quality of filters and oil.  Waiting for the old oil to drain provides the perfect time to check out other things on the vehicle; for example my Cadillac ATS has a known weakness with a flaky axle vent that causes pressure buildup and damaged axle seals followed by a destroyed differential after it runs low on oil.  It takes about 3 minutes while the oil is draining to remove, clean, and re-install the vent which is something the dealer or the even worse "quick change" places would never check or do during an oil change.  The Corvette oil change is more of a pain with its limited clearance and dry sump system and the one most tempting to take to the dealer.

And cicopo wisely asked you, what lenses do you have?  A lack of good glass is what limits most camera bodies and good glass is what you should spend our money on because you will still get great service from a well designed and constructed lens long after you have upgraded through several camera bodies.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"Change your oil!"  If you don't know how, find someone who can teach you. In the meantime, you'll have to pay for it which is money well spent.

A new camera is within your reach.  Keep saving.

Stay in school, go to college. Results below 

Chevy 68 yrs old

chevy.jpg 

Change your oil!

08LegacyGT.jpg 

See you at the track

sti.jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Beautiful cars and EXCELLENT advice.  As a retired college prof I strongly support your recommendation to go to college 🙂

I retired at 55 and my retirement gift to myself was a Corvette Z06 delivered at the Corvette museum across the road from BGAP where the car was "born".  The first photo is from Friday evening before Saturday delivery.  I was like a little kid on Christmas eve that night in the hotel trying to fall asleep and daughter Anna wasn't any better.  We were up for breakfast early that morning and were at the museum at opeining time on delivery day.  The second photos are the car leaving the museum with one of the museum personnel driving since customers aren't allowed to drive the car until it is outside although I was allowed to start it 🙂

Leaving Bowling Green I was making sure that nobody was getting too close as I got used to the new car.  At the first stop light, I heard a loud car pull up but I didn't see it.  Then I realized a grinning Anna was checking the vehicle setup on the infotainment screen and had switched the exhaust setting from tour to track mode which opens the valves on the outer exhaust outlets under all conditions and those are unbaffled and quite loud even at idle 🙂

Rodger

NZ1W8936.JPG

NZ1W8955.JPG

NZ1W8969.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

A friend of mine was part of the team who did the ground work to make that museum a reality. He was the original treasurer (if I remember correctly) & he wrote a book about the museum once it was up & running. Unfortunately the book didn't sell well & he had a lot of boxes of unsold books.  My friend is now working with Vette Vues Magazine.

img300.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Very interesting cicopo!

The big cave in occurred 2 years before I was there for delivery and some of my colleagues told me my new Z06 would probably end up in the Mammoth cave complex while I was sleeping during the night before delivery 🙂  I told them that had better not happen but if the Kia Soul I rented as the 1 way trip car to Bowling Green fell into the ground I wouldn't be too worried.  Central IL is dead flat but on the interstate heading towards Champaign/Urbana the Kia would downshift a couple of times going up every little rise on the interstate and I think Anna was a little embarrassed to be seen getting out when we parked the Kia at the NCM.  Driving home in a 650 HP Z06 was a slightly different experience 🙂

I was at the plant several times but that was my first visit to the museum. 

I am very surprised the book didn't sell well because a lot of Corvette owners are fanatics over every little bit of memorabilia.  A lot of new owners were upset when their dealer threw away the disposable transport cover during PDI.  A museum worker told me that one new owner insisted they bag and save the shavings from drilling the holes to mount the side skirts on his C7 Z51.  The selling dealer sent me a complimentary copy of "All Corvettes are Red" after I placed my order.

And on edit, rpfankuch-you have chosen an excellent program.  Good luck with your continued studies!

Rodger

Rodger,

Beautiful car.  Nothing like american muscle. 

rpfannkuch,

Think twice about the 5D2.  Its already out of support and Canon willl not repair.  That doesn't mean MidWest Camera won't help, but it limits your options depending on what you find.

A little more money and you can buy something a little newer.  Any camera is better than no camera at all.  Stated by someone here wiser than I.  (Ernie).

Canon Refurbs are an excellent place to start.  Some of my gear is refurb and I cannot even tell. 

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rodger I'm very familiar with the Vette crowds apetite for anything to do with "their" Corvette. I worked at one of the better local dealers back in 78 when the Silver Anniversary model came out thru till the 86 model year. That dealer was chosen to do the clean up work on the first 2 all new 84's to be shown in Canada at our International Auto Show. The cars weren't on sale to the public yet & I spent a big part of that day phoning all my Corvette friends so they could get a sneak peek. As for your car, NICE, and I especially like the colour choice because I painted my (daily driver) 86 a similar colour. 

Re my friend's book he also published a quarterly magazine aimed at the 68-82 crowd called Shark Quarterly & I wrote how to articles for it. Unfortunately the only real advertiser was Mid America Corvettes who also tried marketing his book but it needed more marketing / advertising but it was before all the internet forums we now have, Facebook etc. I think it would have done much better sales wise about 10-12 years ago than it did when wrote & made available which was in 1999.

Announcements