cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from T2i to T7?

hmercer23
Apprentice

I purchased a T2i several years ago and I used it a lot, life got busy and photography was pushed to the side. I'm starting to get back in to photography and was thinking about getting a new camera. I was thinking of buying the T7 due to budget, is the T7 a downgrade from the T2i? I have also thought about moving to the mirrorless.

Any advice would be great

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The T7 is a performance upgrade, but it is also somewhat of a build quality downgrade. The T2i was a well built body.  

Without knowing your budget it’s hard to advise you. Canon does offer Sales advice to customers looking to purchase an upgrade. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

If you are prepared to consider mirrorless, then I would do so seriously.  As Bill said, we can't give great advice without a $value to limit our enthusiasm.   Depending on what lenses you have, if you want to keep them, then stick to one of the crop-sensor bodies: that would be R7, R10, R50.  If you have only the kit lenses for the T2i, then look to getting an RF-S 18-150 lens kitted with the body of your choice.  I would personally suggest the R10, as it has the best features for the investment.  If you use EF or EF-S lenses you will need an EF-RF adapter.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

$600-700 is what I would like but at that rate if its a $1,000 for the better option I could swing that. I know that is kind of low for camera but I am okay with getting refurbished. I have the T2i kit lens and I been borrowing a 75-300mm lens. I am not out too much if I switch to mirrorless. Thank you very much for the help.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I bought a T7 about 2018 and am happy with it. I have no qualms about the purchase. I get ads for Canon mirrorless cameras but the price is prohibitive. I don't have a lot of $$$ to go mirrorless so I'll keep my T7. You can see my signature for my lenses collection. But, it's your call.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hmercer23,

Go mirrorless if you can afford it.  It's a wiser investment in the long run.  It costs a little more, but you get more for that money, in performance, features and longevity.

The T2i is 14 yrs old

T7 is 6yrs old.

R50/R10 1-2 yrs old

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the ages of them I was having a hard time finding them. 

stevet1
Authority
Authority

hmercer23,

You asked, " is the T7 a downgrade from the T2i?"

You can go to the CameraDecision website and compare the features of both cameras side by side and judge for yourself.

Here is their website:https://cameradecision.com/

Steve Thomas

Thank you for that link! Its been difficulty comparing camera even with Windows side by side option.

zakslm
Rising Star
Rising Star

hmercer23,

I too have a T7 that I bought about 1.5 years ago and I enjoy using it and like my results.

Back when I got off the couch and back into photography, I knew little of mirrorless cameras or the state of the technology at the time.  I'm glad I chose the T7 and don't second guess my decision.  It was the right decision for me at the time.  

However knowing what (I think) I know now, I would suggest you take a look at the mirrorless choices available that others have mentioned and  some of the new technology and features in those cameras vs. the T7 that I think would be nice to have.  Some features that come to mind are (again based on what I think I know):

1. Better autofocusing performance with more focus points that the T7 (the T7 has 9 focus points).
  2. Better high ISO performance.
  3. More advanced Digic processor (the T7 has a Digic 4 processor), some of the cameras mentioned have a Digic X processor and enable more features and options vs. the Digic 4 processor.
  4. Subject tracking and neat features that prioritzes focus on faces, the eyes, humans or animals.
  5. Faster continuous shooting (T7 shoots at 3 FPS).

Other things to consider are:

1. Canon (and 3rd party manufacturers) have not produced a lot of RS lenses for crop sensor bodies.  But the EF to R adapter enables the use of just about any EF and EF-S lens ever made.  
  2. The learning curve for mirrorless vs. the T7 may be steep and require a significant investment of time and a lot of trial and error to get the results you desire.
  3. Cost.

The above are items that come to mind and are not based on any in-depth research, etc.  

I hope the above in some way helps you make the right decision for you.

Regards,

LZ

Announcements