cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from T2i to T6? Would T6 be considered an upgrade from T2i?

Sha0303
Contributor

Hi Everyone.  I am new to this site.  I know a limited amount about photography...My husband bought me a Canon T2i in 2012...since then I have only taken photos and video with the kit lens...I have been wanting to buy a new lens for so long and recently bought the Tamron 16-300 lens.  I went to a local store and talked with the sales guy about what I was looking for.  I told him....(I'm not a photographer but would like to be able to take faster shots of my too very fast moving kids and also have the zoom factor for sports.  In addition, I want to be able to take better photos inside as well as be able to zoom closer for indoor plays, christmas programs.)  He said that the Tamron 16-300 would always take a better photo than the kit lens that I had been using.  

He suggested that I upgrade the body.  At the time I thought he was suggesting the T6i but now think he was talking about the T6 because of the price he quoted.  I didn't buy it because I already spent so much money on the Tamron lens, filter, uv filter...  To my surprise my husband bought me the Canon T6 Camera with the 18-55mm kit lens for Christmas.

My Question:  Is the T6 considered an upgrade from the T2i or would if be more beneficial to pay a little extra for the T6i?   Thank you 

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In my judgement the T6i is a much better camera. There are only minor differences between the T2i and the T6.

If its in the budget I would suggest you consider returning the T6 and get the T6i.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/t2i/vs/canon/t6i/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/t2i/vs/canon/t6/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/t6i/vs/canon/t6/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thank you John!!  That's what I was thinking too..just wanted to get confirmation from someone with your expertise.  I appreciate your response.  🙂

If its possible to get a cash refund from the store where the T6 was purchased you might want to look into a refurbished T6i at the Canon eStore. Same warranty as new at a savings.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6i-ef-s-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-with-ef-s-55-2...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I agree with John.  That item seems to be out of stock.  Here's a bundle that is not ... at least for the moment.  Take note of what is sold out.  The best value for the buck cameras are mostly all gone.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-t5i-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-refurbished

I don't think you need another camera kit lens.  Although some of the bundles in Canon's Refurbished Store are priced such that the kit lens is nearly a give away.  As a rule, look for just camera bodies.  The kit lenses that end their model numbers with "STM" or "USM" are lenses that are a noticeable jump in image quality, although not much of an improvement in speed. 

The T5i will only offer marginal improvements over a T5 [or a T6 which adds Wi-Fi, but is otherwise identical to a T5].  All of these bodies are best described as a replacement for your existing camera.  The SL1 is better described as a replacement than an upgrade, too.

I would advise a camera body like T6i, or a T6s, which offer a major jump in resolution and ISO performance. If you want an upgrade, then I would go for one of those. These my stretch your budget, but if you want an upgrade, and not just a replacement camera, then they are good cameras to consider.

If you want the best performance for action, video, and low light, then the 80D is Canon's best consumer camera they have.  The 80D has an Auto-Focus system that rivals Canon's professional models, plus it is one of the few Canon DSLR models that can auto-focus while recording video.  The other camera bodies that can do it cost thousands.

If you purchase another lens, go for one that has a low f/stop value, f/2.8 or better.  The lower the number, the better the low light performance can be.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

....The best value for the buck cameras are mostly all gone.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-t5i-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-refurbished

I don't think you need another camera kit lens.  Although some of the bundles in Canon's Refurbished Store are priced such that the kit lens is nearly a give away.  As a rule, look for just camera bodies....

Refurbished stock comes and goes quickly at the Canon USA online store. I tmight be possible to set up an alert, to be notified if and when a particular item comes in stock... then you'd better move quickly.

But if you don't have the patience for that, there are the instant rebates available a lot of places for brand new items. I think those expire Dec. 31.

I disagree regarding the kit lenses.... often the best deal on Rebel series models is a kit. The new lens might be better than a current one like it... Or, you can simply sell off any excess easily on Craigslist or eBay, to recoup some of your costs.

OP mentions wanting a telephoto, too. Many of the kits include one. If you go that route, get the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens... NOT the EF 75-300mm. The 55-250mm is a much better lens. 

.... The kit lenses that end their model numbers with "STM" or "USM" are lenses that are a noticeable jump in image quality, although not much of an improvement in speed. ...

That's simply not true. Lenses without either STM or USM designaation are cheaper and use "micro motor" focus drive... and that's slower, noisier, less consistent and less smooth operating. STM and USM lenses may or may not be any different optically. Lenses with STM are faster focusing, as well as quieter and smoother focusing, ideal for video work in particular, but better overall too. USM lenses are even faster, but not as quiet and smooth... great for sports and other action photography, but not ideal for video work (except for the new "Nano" USM models). 

Example: Canon EF-S 18-135mm was originally offered with micro motor. Then it saw both improvements in optics and got better STM focus drive. And most recently it's been upgraded again, to the new "Nano" USM focus drive which Canon states is 2X to 4X faster than STM version (and nodoubt even more improved compared to micro motor, though they don't say exactly). There there is no difference optically, between the STM and USM versions. They have the same block diagram, same number of elements and groups, same close focusing ability... so likely have little or no difference optically.

...If you want the best performance for action, video, and low light, then the 80D is Canon's best consumer camera they have.  The 80D has an Auto-Focus system that rivals Canon's professional models, plus it is one of the few Canon DSLR models that can auto-focus while recording video.  The other camera bodies that can do it cost thousands...

T6i and T6s both also can auto focus during video. In fact they also both have Dual Pixel Auto Focus (DPAF), same as 80D. That's a lot faster than the old contrast detection AF that was used previously.

Also like the 80D, they have Touch Screen control, which can be used to set AF point in Live View and video. And, I think all three have iTR or "intelligent tracking" AF... where it can recognize and follow a face while a person is moving, maintaining focus on the person.

70D has most of these same features, too...in fact, DPAF and Touch Screen were introduced on it, but just with a slightly lower resolution 20MP sensor (T6i, T6s and 80D are all 24MP models). 7D Mark II also has most of them (though it's 20MP like 70D, and it doesn't have an articulated LCD screen like those other four models).

All Rebel series models including T6i/T6s use a penta-mirror viewfinder, which isn't quite as big and bright as the true pentaprism viewfinder on the 70D, 80D and 7DII models. Those Rebel series also use a somewhat lower specification shutter with 1/4000 top speed, 1/200 flash sync and probably a durability rating of about 75,000 actuations. 70D, 80D and 7DII have 1/8000 top speed, 1/250 flash sync. 70D and 80D are probably rated for 100,000 actuations and 7DII is rated for 200,000.

Another difference, Rebel series use a small battery. 70D, 80D, 7DII  use a larger one that gives almost twice as many shots per charge (or more time shooting video).

Yes, 80D's AF system is another step up... Close to what's now offered in the most pro-oriented 5D Mark IV and 1DX Mark II models. It's 45-point AF (and the 7DII's 65-point) is able to focus in lower light, down to -3EV, compared to -1EV or -0.5EV on the 70D and Rebel models' 19-point AF.  70D, 80D and 7DII all also have Micro Focus Adjustment feature, which can be used to fine tune the focus accuracy of specific lenses to individual cameras... Rebel series lack MFA.

80D is a definite step up and a good camera. But coming from T2i the T6i and T6s also would both be significant improvement. I agree that T6 (or T5) is more of a "replacement", might even be a bit of a downgrade from T2i in certain respects, only a very minor upgrade in other ways.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

.... The kit lenses that end their model numbers with "STM" or "USM" are lenses that are a noticeable jump in image quality, although not much of an improvement in speed. ...

That's simply not true. Lenses without either STM or USM designaation are cheaper and use "micro motor" focus drive... and that's slower, noisier, less consistent and less smooth operating. STM and USM lenses may or may not be any different optically. Lenses with STM are faster focusing, as well as quieter and smoother focusing, ideal for video work in particular, but better overall too. USM lenses are even faster, but not as quiet and smooth... great for sports and other action photography, but not ideal for video work (except for the new "Nano" USM models). 

=============================================================

Of course, it's true.  Your own argument just proved it.  The STM and USM designated lenses are better than those that are not.

The older non-STM and non-USM lenses have inferior focus drive moters, which are less consistent and less accurate.  Less consistent focusing means more photos that are not as sharp as they could be.

...If you want the best performance for action, video, and low light, then the 80D is Canon's best consumer camera they have.  The 80D has an Auto-Focus system that rivals Canon's professional models, plus it is one of the few Canon DSLR models that can auto-focus while recording video.  The other camera bodies that can do it cost thousands...

T6i and T6s both also can auto focus during video. In fact they also both have Dual Pixel Auto Focus (DPAF), same as 80D. That's a lot faster than the old contrast detection AF that was used previously.

==============================================

I wasn't not aware of that.  The 7D Mark II has DPAF, but it cannot auto focus when shooting video. 

"T6i and T6s both also can auto focus during video. In fact they also both have Dual Pixel Auto Focus (DPAF), same as 80D. That's a lot faster than the old contrast detection AF that was used previously."

I just checked the T6i and the T6s.  Neither one of them has Dual Pixel Auto Focus.  They both have "Hybrid CMOS AF III", the same as my EOS M3.  I believe that means that neither T6i or T6s can dynamically auto focus while shooting video.  The user must initiate focus changes.

They don't have DPAF, but they can autofocus during video. 

IMG_0489.PNG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"They don't have DPAF, but they can autofocus during video. "

As your article notes towards the end of it, they can track faces.  Here's a comparison of the performance of DPAF vs. Hybrid CMOS AF III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-86nrBo7_T0

The DPAF is much better at tracking faces than the HC AF III system, which can only track the closest face to the camera, and just barely..  Also, with much higher number of AF points, the DPAF system can track moving subjects, not just the closest face to the camera.

Announcements