cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from EOS Rebel XT

Beamayard
Apprentice

I have had my EOS Rebel XT for 16 years, I use it mostly for my kids sports with EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III lens and love it for outdoor sports but not indoor sports so I am finally looking to upgrade and I really want something that will take great sports photos both indoors and outdoors. 
Can anyone give input on which Canon cameras would be a good upgrade for shooting sports and  are under $3000?

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I recommend the EOS R7.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I would agree with John here, but will offer two options, both based on the new R-series bodies that are Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs). The new R-series cameras offer huge improvements over what you have previously used - these include tracking for eyes of people, animals and even folks in cars or wearing goggles.  The body is stabilized, and used with RF lenses - which are themselves stabilized, will give you a much steadier shot, especially in low light.
1. The R7 will be a major step up from the current camera.  It also has a crop 32.5MP sensor and has all of the features above, but may suffer a bit in low light work because of its smaller sensor size.
2. The Canon EOS R6 is a full-frame camera with 20MP, but has definitely got better low light performance. It too has all of the features above. There is a refurbished one on the Canon store AT THIS LINK 

However, the body is not the only thing.  You need a optic

Personally, for your budget, I would recommend the RF 24-240mm lens.  I have one and it a a brilliant optic that will mean you don't have to change lenses to go from relatively closeup to distance work.  If you are likely to work at a greater distance all the time, the RF 100-400 is a highly-respected lens too, while obviously biased towards the long end.  Both of these have image stabilization that will work with the camera's stabilization.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you!

I have added some more information in my post FWIW

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements