cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Update EOS R50 Firmware 1.1

WindsorRick
Apprentice

I'm unable to update the version of firmware on my camera from 1.0 to 1.1. I received a notification email from Canon that the new version is available. I downloaded the zip file containing the update. The zip contained the firmware update file R5011000.FIR and instructions in several languages. The instructions give two methods for updating the firmware: Using a Card Reader and the EOS Utility. The EOS Utility isn't supported on all cameras and AFAIK it isn't supported for the R50 (maybe I just couldn't find where to download it). So, I used the Card Reader method. I copied the firmware update to my camera, removed the lens from the camera, set the camera to "P" and proceeded to follow the instructions. I got to Step 5 of the instructions and indicated that I wanted to update the firmware. For Step 6, I was supposed to get a screen allowing me to select the new firmware version. Instead, my camera screen just went blank (all black). The instructions indicate when this happens that the update file may not have been copied correctly. I've updated the file several times with two different cards but I get the same result. The file looks like it copied correctly. Anyone have any suggestions? I also tried using Camera Connect from my phone. I get the same blank screen on my camera. FYI, I'm using Windows 11 to copy the file to the camera.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WindsorRick
Apprentice

I solved my problem. I was trying to perform the firmware update using the view finder. This works until Step 6. At that point the view finder goes blank (all black). However, the screen (the screen that folds out) is not blank and displays the information needed to complete the firmware update. I even used the term "screen" in my problem description instead of what I should have referred to as a "view finder". I was sloppy in my terminology. I seldom use the fold out screen and almost always use the view finder, which I think of as a screen even though it's different. After folding out the screen everything worked as expected.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Not sure why you removed the lens from the camera, I never do that and it can inhibit some of the camera functionality. I recommend you put it back on, set the mode dial to Av, Tv, or M and try again.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

WindsorRick
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions Tronhard. Unfortunately, it still fails in the same way. The instructions specifically indicate to remove the lens, but based on your suggestion, I tried it both with and without the lens and it failed either way. The instructions also indicate to set the mode dial to P but I tried Av, Tv, and M and still no luck. I'm looking for things to try so I appreciate your suggestions even though they didn't work for me.

I'm in the U.S. and the fir file that I just downloaded from the Canon U.S.A. Support site has a different name than yours. Are you in the U.S.?

M50 Fir.jpg

Newton

I am in the United States (Colorado). My camera is an EOS R50. Is your file for Canon's M50 camera?

LOL!! Yes, M50... My bad, it helps to read with your glasses on. I'm glad you have it sorted.

Newton

WindsorRick
Apprentice

I solved my problem. I was trying to perform the firmware update using the view finder. This works until Step 6. At that point the view finder goes blank (all black). However, the screen (the screen that folds out) is not blank and displays the information needed to complete the firmware update. I even used the term "screen" in my problem description instead of what I should have referred to as a "view finder". I was sloppy in my terminology. I seldom use the fold out screen and almost always use the view finder, which I think of as a screen even though it's different. After folding out the screen everything worked as expected.  

Announcements