cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to go from DLSR to Mirrorless

JAAranzullo
Contributor

I am an amateur photography. I do mainly events such as sweet 16s, birthdays, etc and portraits during the holidays. I do not do weddings. I want to purchase a mirrorless to slowly move away from DLSRs. I want full-frame. I was not sure of which mirrorless camera I should purchase. I only do photography and have no interest in videography. In your opinion, and for those will more expertise, what would be my best option moving forward?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I just want to purchase a new camera and i'm wondering if i should steer away from DLSRs. 

If that is your main most thing the answer is,... yes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The R6Mk II seems to be getting a lot of buzz. Generally with your criteria, any would work.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The R6Mk II seems to be getting a lot of buzz."

Yup best choice for you. 😊 If you have a stable of EF lenses make sure you buy a Canon brand adapter for them if you intent to use on the new R6 Mk II.

EB

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Much depends on your budget, which we do not know.  If you have the funds, I would support my other two respected colleagues' comments that the R6II is the way to go, if you can't afford a new one, have a look at Canon's Refurbished camera site where you may also find R6 bodies - and those are still great cameras.   I enclose a link to compare the R6 and R6II for price and specs - for some reason they didn't fill out the details in the summary for the former, but just click on the image to get all that.

Products Comparison List - Magento B2B Edition (canon.com)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

JAAranzullo
Contributor

I dont really have a budget. I'd purchase whatever is necessary for work/business. But i'm not sure how I can explain my question. Sometimes when I read the specs on the cameras, i do not know what the difference is about the value in price besides the fact some cameras can record in 8k like the Canon R5. However since at this point I mainly shoot small events, and portraits. So is it worth it for me to invest in the R6 Mark II purchase? I feel like i could get the same quality in photos with an Canon R?

Remember, I have no interest in videography.

I do appreciate the tips and advice though. Right now i currently have a Canon 6d Mark II

JAAranzullo
Contributor

I must admit, i've been eyeing to purchase the EOS R8

@JAAranzullo wrote:

I must admit, i've been eyeing to purchase the EOS R8

Right now i currently have a Canon 6d Mark II. “

If so, then you may not like the R8.  It is more replacement than an upgrade.  The R8 has a back panel similar to a Rebel xxxxD, plus it uses the same battery found in Rebel DSLRs.  I don’t know what Canon was thinking with the R8 design.  I assume list price outweighed camera body features.

I suggest that you look for a R6 or R6 Mark II, which uses the same battery as your 6D2.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

PanoramicWest
Contributor

Well, all cameras are hybrid now with both stills and vids, but I don't think video is why everyone suggested the R6II.

You said you are shooting events so safe to assume these are paid gigs of some sort?
The R8, its a very capable camera with great auto-focus ability like the R6II and will work for what you are doing, a great system price wise for the average shooter.

This is subjective, but if its my intention to "upgrade" from the old, I would want to take advantage of all the features available now days. Battery life (R8 vs R6II, a big deal for me), IBIS, dual card slots (Ive had name brand cards fail and it cost me a job) are a few.
Its up to you, good luck either way.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  dual card slots (Ive had name brand cards fail and it cost me a job) are a few."

Anything made by the hand of man can and will eventually fail. However, lots of counterfeit memory cards out there. It is hard to tell sometimes. The best advice is to buy from a well established retailers and not from eBay or Amazon.

"Right now i currently have a Canon 6d Mark II"

Since the OP already has a 6D Mk II is why most of us have opined the R6 Mk II the best choice over an R8. As stated above "It is more replacement than an upgrade."

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

" I want to purchase a mirrorless to slowly move away from DLSRs"

Mirrorless cameras are not magic. What aspect of your DSLR is limiting your photography? There is no fundamental reason why your 6D can't take excellent photos for the subjects you described.

Can you post a link to some files (preferably RAW) that you think should be better?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements