cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripod Thread Stuck - Help!

alexxfigs
Apprentice

IMG_3050.JPG

GUYS DO YOU THINK I HAVE ANY HOPE OF TAKING THIS OUT? IT STILL MOVES AROUND? WHAT SHOULD I DO TO TAKE THIS OUT, THANKS GUYS

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.  If you mean that material in the threaded hole, it would help to know wha it is, and how it got there.

There are tools that can "rethread" holes.  Auto mechanics use them all the time.  It creates a lot for loose materal in the form of very fine metal shavings, bits, and shards, none of which does a camera any good.  One would have to work updside down on it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are devices that allow holes to be "rethread." They are frequently used by auto mechanics. It generates a lot of very thin metal shavings, pieces, and shards in the form of loose material, none of which is useful to cameras. It would require upside-down labour.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" WHAT SHOULD I DO TO TAKE THIS OUT, ..."

Take it to a Canon Service Center.  The tripod socket is an insert.  It may not be possible to replace just the insert.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

What is it that got stuck? and how does it move around?  It's too hard to tell from the photo.  It looks like black plastic?

They have these tools to remove broken off screws and the like...typically they are called screw extractors.  You can buy them off any hardware stores like Home Depot.

Procedure: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Screw-Extractor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts

Care needs to be taken not to damage the tripod thread but this shouldn't be too hard to remove with the right tool.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements