cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Lapse (picture mode) randomly quits when set to unlimited

edscott001
Apprentice

I'm using the Canon EOS 80D and am trying to do a time lapse over 2-3 days in photo mode. I have it set to take a picture every 20 minutes and the setting is on unlimited. Since the camera will need to be on for so long, I am using the recommended power adaptor so that the battery won't die during the process. I keep having an issue where the time lapse randomly quits taking pictures after a while. I started it last night to capture a flower blooming, and found that when I woke up this morning the camera was no longer taking pictures. The display on the top of the camera shows "Timer" flashing repeatedly. I'm quite upset because I've now missed my chance to capture this flower blooming on account of this failure. Is there a maximum time in which the camera will automatically shut off and require me to restart the process or do I have a defective camera?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear about your photo mishap.

According to the full User Manual, the top display is supposed to blink "TIMER" when it is running.

8A2D36E1-B8AB-4A3C-B695-385C85143264.jpeg

What makes you think that it stopped?  OBviously, did it stop capturing images?  You were only capturing about three per hour, so the NR reduction settings should not have been a factor.  But, I would turn all of the off, anyway.

Does the camera turn itself off between shots?  The User Manual seems to suggest that it should.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Last night, every 20 minutes, I'd hear a beep, followed by several more beeps, and then the shutter would click, which should continue to happen until I manually turn it off. This morning, I was no longer hearing the beeps and shutter every 20 minutes. I decided to turn it off and back on and check the images, and found that only about 10 had taken, but with the time that had passed, there should have been about 60. Memory card is fine (999+ pictures still available), and based on the fact that the Timer indicator was still flashing, I don't think there was any loss of power, which was my first thought. I'm figuring surely there is a setting that is disabling it, assuming I forgot to turn it off after so much idle time, but not sure what it could be.

@edscott001 wrote:

Last night, every 20 minutes, I'd hear a beep, followed by several more beeps, and then the shutter would click, which should continue to happen until I manually turn it off. This morning, I was no longer hearing the beeps and shutter every 20 minutes. I decided to turn it off and back on and check the images, and found that only about 10 had taken, but with the time that had passed, there should have been about 60. Memory card is fine (999+ pictures still available), and based on the fact that the Timer indicator was still flashing, I don't think there was any loss of power, which was my first thought. I'm figuring surely there is a setting that is disabling it, assuming I forgot to turn it off after so much idle time, but not sure what it could be.

You can check the images between shots.  In fact, according to my screen shot above, the camera can capture stills just by pressing the shutter.  I see no reason why you cannot browse images just as you would browse the menu systems.

The moment you turned it off is when you lost any chance to see what the camera was doing.  A power cycle resets it all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements