cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on EOS R1 sensor

Frito-1
Contributor

Hi All,

I have to admit that the 24MP sensor in the flagship camera is a bit of a disappointment.  I would like higher resolution without having to use PhotoShop to stitch pictures together.  Any one know why Canon did not go with a resolution closer to the R5?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, better hold on to your pants cause rumors have it that Canon will be annoucing, sometime in late August, the new MP monster,  👻 the EOS R1X/R1S.  The new Canon R1X/R1S will be the new "High Resolution Monster !  If you want to learn more click on the link below: 

https://youtu.be/ksJJEARUv9E?si=JnAyreRmUdJuNFNT

This will be the monster that everyone has been waiting for.  This monster will push aside all your arguments about Nikon Z8 and Z9, Sony Alpha 1, and Alpha 9 being better than Canon EOS R1s.  So now, it all makes sense why Canon introduced the R1 with 24.2MP specifically for the photo journalists and the sport reporters before the Olimpics.  Next it will introduce the monster that will be the all in one camera for everyone, that will goble up the competition.   I'm hearing with maybe 80MP and global shutter sensor,  that's bold.  Can't wait ! ! !   That should settle anyones complaints. 

How about that !

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71

"Advances in sensor technology deliver more resolution with less noise.  This is what we have in the Nikon Z9 and the Sony A1."  

Not to mention the fact that R1's 40fps lags well behind the 120fps that better cameras in the segment offer -- along with greater resolution and lower cost. Canon dropped the ball on this one, but could redeem itself by making their cost more competitive. Admittedly an unlikely prospect. 

You obviously are not a working pro, and will never understand. Your arguments are worthless to those of us who are.

tl;dr

jhog1978
Apprentice

I agree — 24.1 MP for a flagship camera is VERY disappointing. That said, I’m thrilled with my R3. Even though it only has 24 MP, the image quality is amazing. I traded a 5DS (with 51 MP) for the R3 and took a huge leap UP in quality. Only thing I can guess is that Canon thinks the image quality with this “new/improved” sensor will override the MP issue. I have my doubts, and as anxious as I was to immediately upgrade to the R1 when it came out, there’s no way I will be doing that for a 0.1 increase in MP count. Canon, this is an EPIC fail !

John_SD
Whiz

I'm certainly not in the market for a flagship camera, but if I were and as someone who takes a fair amount of landscape photos as well as some wildlife, it wouldn't be the overpriced 24MP R1. I would be looking at the 45MP Z9, but that's just me. 

I think Canon would agree with your use case, except for the Z9 part 😀
“MELVILLE, N.Y., July 17, 2024 — Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today launched two new professional full-frame mirrorless cameras, the EOS R1 and EOS R5 Mark II. The EOS R1 camera is designed for both professional still photographers and video creators in a wide range of fields including sports, news reporting and high-end video production. The EOS R5 Mark II camera features improved video focused features for the advanced creators and real-time multi recognition tracking system for those who focus on still photography.”

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Fred and welcome to the forum:

I can tell you exactly why Canon didn't go with greater than 24MP.  Just read this: The Argument for Two Flagships 

Canon have always had a special model for those in the press profession because their needs are very specific and rigorous - and quite unique.  They don't have time to change batteries frequently, their cameras get tortuously treated and they are after enough resolution for the purposes of their publishers.  Those clients are doing their publishing on line, in digital form or in nothing bigger than a double-page magazine spread.   They want speed: of capture, of processing and saving, and in transmission.  Hi-res images of significant size are not conducive to that.

If you are not in that category, the camera was not designed for you.    If you are looking for larger-size images then the R5II is the camera you should be looking at.  Don't get seduced by the number on the box, look to the features and the benefits to you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

look at you, writing a whole article about it! I love the dedication! 

In one of my careers, I used to teach corporate marketing, sales and support and I am used to the phenomenon of people being beguiled by the concept of having "the best". I used to really emphasize that for customers, what the product does is far more important than what it says on the package. The best is what offers what one really really needs and can afford, and that has nothing to do with the model number.

Hence the lecture on 'dissertation'...

To quote one of my favourite photographers, Sean Tucker, on the fixation on camera models: "It's just a box with a brand name on it - don't get romantic about the camera, It's just a tool in your hand".

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Stephen!

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements