cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on EOS R1 sensor

Frito-1
Contributor

Hi All,

I have to admit that the 24MP sensor in the flagship camera is a bit of a disappointment.  I would like higher resolution without having to use PhotoShop to stitch pictures together.  Any one know why Canon did not go with a resolution closer to the R5?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, better hold on to your pants cause rumors have it that Canon will be annoucing, sometime in late August, the new MP monster,  👻 the EOS R1X/R1S.  The new Canon R1X/R1S will be the new "High Resolution Monster !  If you want to learn more click on the link below: 

https://youtu.be/ksJJEARUv9E?si=JnAyreRmUdJuNFNT

This will be the monster that everyone has been waiting for.  This monster will push aside all your arguments about Nikon Z8 and Z9, Sony Alpha 1, and Alpha 9 being better than Canon EOS R1s.  So now, it all makes sense why Canon introduced the R1 with 24.2MP specifically for the photo journalists and the sport reporters before the Olimpics.  Next it will introduce the monster that will be the all in one camera for everyone, that will goble up the competition.   I'm hearing with maybe 80MP and global shutter sensor,  that's bold.  Can't wait ! ! !   That should settle anyones complaints. 

How about that !

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Probably to keep the frame rate up, and get good noise performance.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is what Canon stated in the 1D X Mark III white paper. I suspect the same rationale applies to R1. 
IMG_2077.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

John,

Great information!  That Canon Statement says it all.  Having said that there will be those that won't understand marketing and market segmentation.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

This is exactly it.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Fred and welcome to the forum!

There is not ONE 'flagship' camera: there are, and always were at least two - but for separate markets

To understand this, one needs to understand the relationship between features, benefits and value - Marketing 101.   A feature is a characteristic of a device or service that is specific to that product.   A benefit is specific to users of products or a market of users, and varies with what they need to either improve performance or remove a constraint to their use of the product and achieve their goals.   Value is only attained when a feature matches a benefit.

So, with that under our belts, look at which market the 1D series was historically aligned to: photojournalists, news and sports - and that is why these are coming out in time for the Olympics, as they generally do.  So what features do those markets need?   They need extremely good focus, low light performance, fast recording and the benefits to them are :ability to upload quickly and reliably in real time to their agencies or clients, who will be publishing those images on line or in smaller-sized printed format.  What they DON'T need is extremely large files that will slow down focus and tracking, shooting, buffering, and take up file space and connectivity band width.  So, look at the history - the 1 series have always hovered in the 20-24MP range, because larger files are not offering benefits to those markets, and thus are of no value.

That is where the second 'flagship' comes in.  The 5 series (5d's and now R5's).  They are the general-purpose units that offer features that will be of benefit to those who don't necessarily need that level of connectivity, but instead want resolution to allow cropping, large prints and fine details.  That market includes commercial product, wildlife, landscape, fashion, portrait, wedding and other social events.  So they will forfeit the high-speed download and some superior dynamic range capabilities of FF those sensors with larger, but fewer photosites.

The R5II shared the same focusing/tracking, IBIS and processors with the R1, so it's no slouch, but it's forte is resolution for larger output and the ability to crop.  The R5II does offer options for those with a foot in both camps:  for those who need specific benefits in performance, they can enhance the body with the 3 different battery grips to offer specific features that a) give enhanced connectivity, b)offer  extra cooling for video and c) the more traditional grip that offers extra battery capacity and portrait controls and also works with the R6 series.

If you take all that into account, and you wanted more resolution, you were looking at the wrong camera, the R1 was not made for you, the R5II likely was.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

Like always, you hit the nail on the head with your response.  A little common sense, and knowledge of market segmentation goes a long way.  There is not one camera, be it Canon, Nikon, Sony, Leica or Hasselblad, that can be "The All" (the one), camera for everyone and every need.  If there were one, it would be so expensive that no one could afford it.  Like you mentioned, there is not one Flagship Canon Camera, there are two, the R1 and R5 along with other models to meet different budgets, needs, and levels of expertise.  Those that are serious about purchasing new or used cameras need to think about: What they will need it for; What features they really need; What is their budget for said camera.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Yes, no one camera can can be the master of all.  But I think Sony's and Nikon's flagship cameras are much more versatile while still being extremely good at the R1's specialty.

The Nikon Z9 offers 45mp - nearly twice the resolution of the R1.  You can definitely shoot landscape and studio photos with 45.  And I cannot imagine Canon's AF and low-light performance being that much better than the Z9's to justify half the resolution.

kifsterMD,

If you think that Nikon's and Sony's flagship are more capable and have more to offer than  Canon's cameras, then why is it that Nikon only has 8% market share and Sony only has 26% market share vs Canon's 45% of the market.  This tells me that most of the professional photo journalist and sport reporters are using a Canon..   

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Thank you for your response! The R5 mark ii is the correct fit for me given the specifications for both cameras.  I would have liked something between. I get the issues with the large files, however, the continued advances in technology most likely will wipe out that concern. Storage is cheap and bandwidth is ever increasing. Look how far we have come in the last 20 years. 15 years ago, It took me 5 hours to render a 30 minute video that contains stills and video. Today, with UHD it takes about 10minutes.  When spending over $6k on a body, I would like it to have a larger sensor that has technology to eliminate noise.  It should also possess the technology that makes the files scalable for transfers.  I can cut the file size for a transfer.  I cannot expand the base detail that does not exist.    Thanks again

click here to view the gallery
Announcements