cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party Ayex grip and Bluemax batteries issues

No-Frills
Contributor

I use Bluemax batteries for my 77D since may 2019 and had no problems. In february 2020 I bought an Ayex battery grip for the 77D and it worked until june with all batteries very well. I used two bluemax batteries or a mix of one Canon and one Bluemax and that worked until june.

Suddenly in the first week of june after charging the batteries outside the grip I've got the message that the batteries may not be genuine Canon. This message appears only if I feed one Canon and one Bluemax into the grip. After the message the menu made the option to proceed with the batteries and it worked.

Since the last week of june it is different. After about 150 to 200 shots or the same amount of JPG and RAW the power indicator pointed out low battery power. The indicator showed full or 3/4 power after re-inserting the batteries. But in the last three weeks the power indicator shows the red light for exhausted batteries and the camera suddenly shut down. Now this occurs after re-inserting the batteries soon again, sometimes at once, sometimes after minutes. The batteries are always full charged and can't be exhausted after 150 to 200 shots.

Has anyone the same issues with third party parts?

I bought the grip, because Canon has no one for the 77D and I shoot often placing the camera on the ground. A Gorilla pod is to high for my use and the cam without grip to low.

Today I dismounted the grip. I will see if the issue continues with the Bluemax batteries alone. The 77D is the only cam I am using with third party parts.

If you want to visit Germany feel free to ask me about good locations for photography in my region (Ruhr district, ex coal mine area, Duesseldorf). And yes, my username is inspired by some sketches of the Carol Burnett Show.
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"Has anyone the same issues with third party parts?"

No.  I heard about the horror stories and never went down that path,  You should stop using those batteries before you damage your camera.  Buy a pair of genuine Canon batteries from a reputable Canon dealer.  

Oh, yeah.  Stop using the battery grip before you damage your camera.  If Canon did not release a grip for the camera body, then the body was not designed to use one.  This means that every third party grip out there puts your camera at risk.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you didn't get this re-read it again.........

"You should stop using those batteries before you damage your camera.  Buy a pair of genuine Canon batteries from a reputable Canon dealer.  ...

Stop using the battery grip before you damage your camera.  If Canon did not release a grip for the camera body, then the body was not designed to use one.  This means that every third party grip out there puts your camera at risk."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Today I dismounted the grip"

That is good because if you call Canon and inquire about any camera problem, or want service, the first thing they will tell you is to remove and discontinue the use of that grip.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements