cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The last of the DSLR EOS line

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

It’s been a year since Canon announced the production and availability of their last EOS camera, the EOS-1D X Mark 3.

A number of professionals in the industry feel that this planned obsolescence of the EOS camera will be Canon’s swan song.  I, for one, resent the arrogance of Canon’s Chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai, believing that professionals and consumers will be willing to shell out tens of thousands for mirrorless camera bodies and new lenses.  Frankly, if I’m going to have to go to a new camera and lenses, it will be a company that isn’t run by malignant narcissists.

In my opinion, there’s a good reason why Canon is struggling economically — aside from the virus scares — and the company has lost many loyal customers.  Permanently.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
19 REPLIES 19

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...and the company has lost many loyal customers."

If Canon has lost any "loyal" customers it is because other companies have out competed them not because they switched to mirrorless. I went through the FD to EF change over years ago and some folks said the very same thing. They were wrong and so are you.

In the professional sport field the 1 Series is king and will be for some time to come.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree with Ernie.   

The statement that Canon has lost customers, or more specifically, market share is patently inaccurate.  Right now, all of the major camera makers are moving to mirrorless: Sony has been producing MILCs for some time, Canon and Nikon each last released a  DSLR two years ago, and each has released 5 mirrorless models since then.  That leaves one with Fuji and Panasonic - also mirrorless.  OM (Olympus) makes Micro 4/3 cameras and is now a small player.  Pentax made a FF DSLR... in 2018.  So threatening to go to another manufacturer is rather a pointless and empty bluster, and has serious credibility issues too.

In the series of cameras high-end sport-oriented cameras that you and, in his repost, Ernie referred to I agree that the majority of models used out there are likely to be the EOS 1DxMkIII to which he referred and the OP apparently owns.   I expect that to change eventually to the R3 or a later model, but that is likely to take some time because:
1. A lot of photographers are likely to want to use their current gear for as long as it is able to deliver the performance and output that is required by the market and will then consider a move to the newer tech.
2. Due to production issues, there is a long backlog of orders for the R3 - in NZ there is not one seller who can offer one for sale right now - they are all on back-order.  Folks in North America and professionals may well gain priority access to those that are available.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

And it is no less effective a camera now than it was then.   If you say 'we' I assume you mean some of the members of this community and I agree there was a sentiment among some. 

But that was two years ago, and a lot has happened since then.  It is simply that, like all other makers, they have to move with the times and the competition - not to do so would put Canon at a major disadvantage.

So, there is a choice: either stick with the 1DXMkIII, try one of the new MILCS from Canon, or find another brand that continues to issue DSLR models of an equivalent level - but don't look to any of the major brands...  That ship has sailed.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

As to the financial viability of Canon's progress into MILC tech, the following are the published financial results for Canon for 2021: Canon Financial Results they clearly indicate the state of the company's status.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I very much believe there will be an R1 series in the future. There isn't any rush to have it hit the market while the 1 series is still the predominant camera in the pro world. I can see Canon producing a very long line of RF lenses to match the current EF L models, too.  This stuff doesn't happen overnight.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"And it (the 1 Series) is no less effective a camera now than it was then."

Why does it seem like some folks think if a new model comes out the old one ceases to work? It has been my experience they still do as good a job as ever.

IMHO, nobody manufacturers a "pro" model line beside Canon and Nikon. This is not to say the other makers don't have good cameras and lenses, they do, but they just don't make a true real deal model like the 1 DX Mk III or the D6.

EB

Absolutely with Ernie on this: the 1DxIII is as good as it ever was. 

On the R line, the R6 has the same sensor plus IBIS and eye tracking. The R3 is a formidable unit and will take the place of a 1-series for some shooters: it is essentially a sports, wedding (referring to videos by Vanessa Joy), and (for some) wildlife camera. 

It remains to be seen when a 1-series R model will appear: given the shortage of materials to produce the current line, I'm not holding my breath, but there is pressure from Nikon's Z9 series.  In the meantime the 1DxMkIII is still there and doing a great job.

It will be interesting to see if a R1 comes out if it will have a (global?) electronic shutter - under the pressure to answer Nikon's Z9...  But that is not an issue right now and is just me musing!🙄

cheers, TREVOR

Just for the Record, Ken Rockwell just tested the IBIS in the R3 and found it excellent, giving 6 stops of improvement.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/r3.htm#stabilizer

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 1Dx Mk III is about 2 years old now so a R1 replacement is getting more likely. I am sure Canon knows the life of the 1Dx Mk III and sees no reason to add another pro level camera out until the current 1Dx Mk III users might be considering a new camera. 

The requirements of a camera at this level is different than that of a armature or even an advanced armature camera.

EB

1D X releases have been timed to correspond with the summer Olympics. 2912, 2016 and 2020. Prior to that the 1D (APS-H version) was also on a 4 year cycle. 

Perhaps we will see an announcement in Fall 2023. Release in Spring 2024. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements