cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The R1 and R5 mk II is really messing with my head

raffas
Apprentice

I went all in with mirrorless, selling my dslr's when the R3 came out and was waiting for an R1 for a long time. Everyone was kind of expecting something more from it, myself included. I just wish it had a 32-35 mp sensor and MAYBE a global shutter, but it really does seem like the R5 has everything the R1 does and a little more. The only thing stopping me from getting the R5 is the smaller body, no touch AF controller, the overheating (even with the battery grip vent), and the LP E6 Batteries (they just aren't that good compared to LP E19's). I also used the original R5 and returned it after a few weeks because it kind of fell short. I do a lot of weddings, more video than photos sometimes, so the video features are nice, but the R1 would have been my main shooter for both photo and video but again, it just feels like a R3 update. Getting the R5, plus the vent grip, PLUS 8 BATTERIES (all the old LP E6's wont be as good) it would be $1,000 less than the R1 too. Money isn't the issue for since it's for work, but dude I really agree with the sentiment that it doesn't FEEL like a flagship body, especially when compared to Sony or Nikon. I already have my pre order for the R1 in since last night, but I've never second guessed myself on camera gear ever. Maybe someone here can help me make up my mind.

2 REPLIES 2

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The R1 may well NOT be the best camera for your use.  For most of the life of the 1 series, the bodies were optimized for sports shooters and photo journalists where prime considerations were rugged weather resistance, high performance (particularly in low light), and hitting the "sweet spot" for resolution and speed with the target output of journalism in mind.  The S suffix subset of the 1 series was a short term marketing attempt to provide a 1 series body with higher resolution for "studio" use.

For weddings and similar events, I would choose a 5 over a 1 series.  My primary use is sports and I will never shoot a wedding so I love the 1 series.  But I am not in love with mirrorless and although I MAY try a R1 via CPS somewhere down the road, I am about to order one additional 1DX III body while they are still available.  I never shoot video with anything but a camcorder so that aspect of mirrorless architecture doesn't matter to me.  I am curious how the R1 sensor noise will do in sustained low light sports shooting where the sensor is going to be in high active mode for long periods of time (since it can't be in a low res mode if the pre-capture buffer is going to be fully utilized).  I also want to test how real battery life compares to my 1DX III, currently I can easily shoot a couple of major events between charges on 1DX bodies and don't worry about having to change batteries during events. 

There isn't any single camera that is best for everything.  A camera that excels at sports isn't going to be the best choice for portraiture.  A medium format camera is going to produce images that "standard" bodies can't but it won't provide the frame rate needed for many applications.  So the "flagship" isn't going to be the right solution to a lot of issues.  I own four vehicles and each gets me from point A to B but they definitely aren't direct subs for one another.  My Corvette Z06 is a lot of fun to drive but it would be useless for big loads or deep snow where my crewcab diesel pickup comes into its own.  And neither would make a good daily driver.  There are no perfect people and no perfect camera systems 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Ken Rockwell agrees:

"Honestly I'm having a hard time figuring out if anything really is significantly new in the R1 compared to the R3 (it's the exact same body and both have mind-reading AF and touch sensor scrolling!), and while everyone is complimenting themselves on how well they can understand and use words and concepts like deep learning and prescient machine cognition. [snip] I'd order an R3 unless you're a full-time pro and something the R1 does will genuinely help you bag more selling shots. Otherwise it seems the R1 is also just a slight upgrade to the R3, with more flowery PR. I've been doing this many decades, even 40 years ago every new AF system was heralded as God's gift to humanity for what ultimately were negligeable changes. If you want either of these, order now as I don't know for how long B&H will be fire-selling the R3."

click here to view the gallery
Announcements