cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6 Lens recommendations?

Radman17
Contributor

Hi all,

I had no idea this forum existed but it looks awesome! I do have a question: I recently purchased the Rebel T6/1300D package that comes with the 18-55 and 75-300 lenses. I'm still on the learning curve with this camera (previously I was using point-and-shoot pocket cameras, and/or video cameras).  

My question is, I'll be going back over to Disney World soon and wondered what might be the best lens to take to the parks? I only want to take one lens.  Is the 18-55 sufficient, or is there a much better lens that I'd have better luck with? I doubt I'll be taking any telephoto shots, but rather standard and wide-angle shots, as well as action shots.

Any help appreciated! Thanks......

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Radman17 wrote:

Hi all,

I had no idea this forum existed but it looks awesome! I do have a question: I recently purchased the Rebel T6/1300D package that comes with the 18-55 and 75-300 lenses. I'm still on the learning curve with this camera (previously I was using point-and-shoot pocket cameras, and/or video cameras).  

My question is, I'll be going back over to Disney World soon and wondered what might be the best lens to take to the parks? I only want to take one lens.  Is the 18-55 sufficient, or is there a much better lens that I'd have better luck with? I doubt I'll be taking any telephoto shots, but rather standard and wide-angle shots, as well as action shots.

Any help appreciated! Thanks......

I had a T5, which almost identical to a T6.  The T5 simply lacks Wi-Fi.  

The first lenses I bought to expand my arsenal were the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, and the EF-S 10-22mm USM.  The 50mm taught me the most about photography.  The 18-135mm initially became my favorite “walk around” lens, which every photographer should have.  

But, the 10-22mm became my favorite lens to use on the T5.  It has a focal range that is approximately equivalent to 16-35mm on a full frame DSLR, and Canon makes a professional grade “L” lens with that exact range.  In fact, the 10-22mm and the 16-35mm share the same lens hood.

The EF-S 10-18mm is comparable to the EF-S 10-22mm in image quality, but the similarities end there.  While the 10-18mm costs half the pride, 10-22mm has a wider aperture and internal focusing, as well as a metal body, instead of plastic.

The very wide aperture EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens is far and away the best bang for the buck lens in the Canon EF lens lineup.  It can teach you a lot about photography.

My advice is the 10-22mm, or the two lens 10-18mm and 50mm lens kit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your current kit should be fine, though the 75-300 is not one of Canon's best.

The only place you will need the extra reach of the 75-300 is at Animal Kingdom.

If you are staying at the Animal kingdom lodge you need both the tele and wide angle.

Make sure to go to Pandora at night.

Lion.jpg

gator.jpg

Pandora.jpg

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The best all around lens is the 18-135, which is a great walking around lens.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I agree with you. For the money, it's hard to beat.

This was taken with my T6S and 18-135 @ 22mm:

Castle.JPG

Nice!

WOW!!!  That is a great picture.  I have so much to learn still.

@John_SD wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I agree with you. For the money, it's hard to beat.

Hmm.....sounds like that may be my first lens purchase for my T6.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is the 18-55 sufficient,..."

Yes, if you want just one lens, this is it. A better choice than the other lens you have is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens.  Continuous coverage from 18mm to 250mm is pretty nice in my book.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements