cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i tethering

astrophotonoob
Apprentice

Hello to all,

I'm new to photography so any help is useful. I have a T5i with a bad SD card reader, can I just bypass the reader by shooting tethered. By what I have figured out I can, is this correct.

I don't have my camera with me right now to try it out, that is why I'm asking you.

Thank for all of your help,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

EOS Utility saves any images taken to the computer.

If you set the Menu preference to take photos without SD card (which is the factory default setting) you should be able to do what you are wanting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What are you asking?

EOSUtility should do what you want.

Everything I hhave read talks about tethering and I understand it's ability. I assumed that the SD card is not needed, but I wanted clarification.

Is your goal to transfer images to the computer without having a card reader? If so, what computer do you have?  Many will allow you to directly connect your camera via it's USB cable to import your images.  This is what I do half the time with my EOS 5D IV and iMac Pro.   Also, some computers have SD card slots in them; is that perhaps what broke on your computer?

Or, is your desire to capture images and be able to instantly see them on your computer screen? This is the main purpose of tethering.

If it's the latter case, you can use Canon's free DPP for starters.  Other tethering software I know of are Adobe Lightroom and Capture One.

Having said all of that, it may be cheaper and more practical just to pick up a new SD card reader.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I want to be able to take an astrophoto via the tether to my windows 10 Surface 7pro, preview picture and save it in a folder on my computers HD. The card reader is bad on my t5i and I don't have the money right now to repair/replace it right now. I still want to use my camera at home without using the SD card for memory just my computer.

EOS Utility is Free, try it out. Frankly I don't know whether it will work without the camera being able to save to the card since few of us would have that situation since our cameras can save to the card.

@kvbarkley wrote:

EOS Utility is Free, try it out. Frankly I don't know whether it will work without the camera being able to save to the card since few of us would have that situation since our cameras can save to the card.

Remove the card?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Remove the card?

Yes I want to remove the card from the equation, camera to computer not saved on SD

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

EOS Utility saves any images taken to the computer.

If you set the Menu preference to take photos without SD card (which is the factory default setting) you should be able to do what you are wanting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements