cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5 or T5i?

Misc_Photo
Apprentice

Hello all, new member of the canon community and also new to photography. I started off using a Minolta Maxxum 5xi (35mm SLR and still planning on using it) and recently acquired a Canon Digital Rebel XTI from my Aunt.

I took up photography as a hobby and am new, still learning the ropes.

After doing much research, I decided to save up for the T5. The T5i looks attractive, but I cannot for the life of me justify the extra $100 or so for the T5i.

Which one should I get?

13 REPLIES 13

ScottyP
Authority

One really important question is what lenses do you have?  It is a frequently expressed wisdom in photography that glass (lenses) is more important than what camera you have.  A very basic or outdated camera can take a very good image with a good lens, but even a great camera cannot take a good image with a poor quality lens.  

I am am sure there is a better expression of this sentiment out there, but you get the idea.  If your current lenses are lacking, you may be better off keeping the XTI and instead spending your money on a lens.  The T5 is not going to be wildly different from an XTI but a good lens will be noticeably better than a bad one. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

One really important question is what lenses do you have?  It is a frequently expressed wisdom in photography that glass (lenses) is more important than what camera you have.  A very basic or outdated camera can take a very good image with a good lens, but even a great camera cannot take a good image with a poor quality lens.  

I am am sure there is a better expression of this sentiment out there, but you get the idea.  If your current lenses are lacking, you may be better off keeping the XTI and instead spending your money on a lens.  The T5 is not going to be wildly different from an XTI but a good lens will be noticeably better than a bad one. 

I have heard the same thing from an experienced photographer (as compared to myself)

The XTI is only a loaner, until such time I get an T5. It was never intended for me to keep.

It only came with the 18-55mm EF Kit lens. I was fully intending, once I got the T5, of saving and getting either a tamron or sigma lens anyway (I got to see a friend's T3i with a sigma lens on it (forgot the focal length), but I could tell it was of higher quality compared to canon kit lens). 

am just taking my time, I don't want to spend too much money, especially since I am just starting out 

What do you shoot?  Street?  Portraits?  Landscapes?   sports, and if so what ones?  Hopefully for your budget not indoor ones. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

How have you come up with the choice of T5 or T5i?  Both cameras will give you comparable image quality.  The T5 has just been replaced by the T6.  A refurbished T5 kit is a good idea.  But, having good lenses are where the rubber hits the road.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements