cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i stops recording unexpectedly

TonyAnt
Contributor

Unfortunately I can't find a pattern here.  My T3i unexpectedly stops recording video.  It doesn't shut down, it just stops recording a clip.  It can happen soon after I've turned the camera on or after I've been using it for a while.  I happens on a short clip or into a long clip.  I don't get an error message.  What I get is 'video has automatically turned off'.  Its very annoying.  Especially when its a good take.  Suggestions on a problem?

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"Suggestions on a problem?"

I will apologize up front, because you may not like my reply.  "Read the manual."

DSLRs have limitations when it comes to recording file size, and recording time in a single file.  DSLRs have limitations when it comes to how much can be stored in a single folder on your memory card.  [Try always starting new video files in a new folder.] 

DSLRs can begin to overheat their image sensor during extended use of Live View or Video Mode.  In other words, just having the LCD on standby, actively displaying an image, causes the image sensor to overheat just like recording video would.

Read the manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thaks Waddizzle!  I have no issues with straight talk.  The manual was my first route.  My second route was starting a new file on the SD card.  The next option was simply trying to shoot in a smaller size (1280x720).  Changing the file worked for a while, until yesterday.  It shut off during a production.  That file has about 10 video files in it and they're not big files.

I'll go back to the manual, as you suggested.  Maybe I missed something.  Its not like the manual is a New York Times best seller, so I my mind may have wondered while reading.

If you not getting the overtemp error, you need to contact Canon. Someone else recently had this issue and IIRC, it was a card that had not been formatted properly. Or just try a new card and low-level format it in the camera.

Wait a minute, that was you!

So formatting the card did not work? Time to call Canon.

Thanks KVBARKLEY!  Formatting the card was a different issue.  That problem is solved.  It turned out someone had formatted the card for a different camera, but didn't tell me so I assumed it was still formatted for mine.

This issue is different.  The camera randomly stops recording a clip. I can start recording again, but I never know when the camera will stop recording.  For a production, its like walking thru a haunted house not knowing when someone will jump out.  Its that scary.  I'm afraid it will stop on a really good take.

Does it do it when you have it just sitting on a tripod?

You might have a bad video button that is "pressed" when the camera is jiggled. Not much you can do about that except send it to Canon.

KVBARKLEY, it happens whether its on a tripod or handheld.  It may be something I'm overlooking.  You guys have more experience with this Rebel model than me, so any suggestions are helpful.

@TonyAnt wrote:

KVBARKLEY, it happens whether its on a tripod or handheld.  It may be something I'm overlooking.  You guys have more experience with this Rebel model than me, so any suggestions are helpful.

I have offered what advice I can offer from afar.  Just one more thing.  The camera warns you when it is overheating.  It will display a special icon, which you can find in the manual.  There's like a page and half of warnings, cautions, do's and don'ts in the manual when it comes to shooting video.  Remember to start new video files in new folders, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements