cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Body Lighter than EOS 5D Mark IV

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast

Hi All,

I shoot mostly stills for real estate, architecture, kitchen remodels etc. My 5D MkIV is excellent for this.

I am starting to shoot video and find my 5DmkIV which sits on a DJI Ronin RS3 very heavy.

What lighter body would you recommend for video? Must haves are full frame & duel memory card.

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What lens are you using? Depending upon what that is, I don't think you'll be able to save that much weight in moving to a different body.  e.g. if moving to a mirrorless camera and using an EF lens, you'd need to add in the weight an an EF to RF lens adapter.

Do you absolutely need full-frame for video?  The 5D IV applies a very heavy crop to the sensor (approx 1.7x) which is slightly more than the 1.6x crop in APS-C sized sensor bodies.   Depending upon your lens, you could end up with a lighter setup if using say an EOS R7 along with a lightweight lens (if that particular lens would meet your focal length needs of course).

Also, what are you currently needing for audio?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I won’t need audio. I currently use a 16-35 USM. I didn’t know the 5D crops to that extent. Does this mean my 90D is better for video? (it’s also slightly lighter than the 5D but only one card slot).

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Full frame, dual memory card = Canon R5.  The R5 is the mirrorless successor to the 5DmkIV.  I have both and the R5 works well.  the RF 24-70 is also a good match if you want to do more video.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)
Announcements