cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck between the EOS R5 or EOS R

shongdo5
Apprentice

I shoot with the Sony a7 but was wanting to change and get a canon. I mostly shoot landscape with some street photography but i want to get into a little bit of night time photography. I wanted to know whether the r5 is overkill for my needs and if the Eos R is enough. I'm looking to get one and not have to upgrade in a long time. I'm also happy with other suggestions on the canon r line if there is one that suits my needs the best

2 REPLIES 2

March411
Rising Star

I have both the R5 and the R6 MkII and I can tell you that low light is not the R5's friend, high ISO and noise are pretty much a guarantee. If I am shooting low light the R6 MkII is my go to and produces beautiful images.

That being said both camera (most cameras) will have a level of noise due to low light that will need some post production clean up. Topaz or DXO for low light photography is almost a requirement. I haven't used it but some say that Canon's DPP free software does a decent job on noise reduction.

I love both bodies but the R6 MK II is my go to for wandering in the woods or shooting at night or in low light.

This image needed to be downsized to post on the forum, so to some degree the IQ has been reduced. This is in an extremely dense jungle taken with the R6 Mk II and the RF 100-400 lens. 

Hummer.jpg

R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

There's a huge disparity between the R and R5. 

Based on your description, I think you should be considering the R6 Mark II or R5.  

If you need reasons why I wouldn't consider the R here are a few.

No Ibis

EVF has low refresh rate 

The touch bar 

Video has 1.4x crop 

If you are considering the R, there is no reason not to consider either of these other models, which will outperform the original R in every way except for resolution 24 vs 30MP.  If 6 MP is hat important to you, then the R5 is an easy choice.  The original R isn't a bad camera, but the latter models are so much more advance in comparison making them a wiser choice.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements