cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 2000D Viewfinder keeps darkening

Kroj
Apprentice

Hello, i own an EOS 2000d camera with its kit lens 18-55 lll . Earlier today after 2 weeks of use , i notice something awkward.While the camera is "on" when pressing the set button alone, i noticed that accordingly the aperture value ,the viewfinder gets darker instantly.I chanced to faster aperture and again when i pressed the set button it got darker.  The faster the aperture,the lesser the darkening.Also every time i press the set button i hear a sound from the motor of the lens like truing to focus . I don't know if this is normal .I have no issues or errr codes. The camera is fully functional. Thanks in advance..

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome

DSLR cameras let yous focus with a large aperture, but when they go to take a photo, the mirror flips up, the lens focuses and the aperture is closed to the desired setting.

The lens you have is an older type that has a motor and mechanical gearing, so that may be what you are hearing.

Note: that you should never try to manually focus with this lens unless you switch the AF-MF lens to MF. If you don't, you may desync the mechanism and then you won't get proper autofocus.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The set button is from the factory is setup as the depth of field button. So what is happening is normal and not a cause of concern. The sound you're hearing is the aperture motor in the lens. Not all lenses have quiet aperture motors. Especially older lenses with older AF motors like Micro Motor.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Kroj wrote:

Hello, i own an EOS 2000d camera with its kit lens 18-55 lll . Earlier today after 2 weeks of use , i notice something awkward.While the camera is "on" when pressing the set button alone, i noticed that accordingly the aperture value ,the viewfinder gets darker instantly.I chanced to faster aperture and again when i pressed the set button it got darker.  The faster the aperture,the lesser the darkening.Also every time i press the set button i hear a sound from the motor of the lens like truing to focus . I don't know if this is normal .I have no issues or errr codes. The camera is fully functional. Thanks in advance..

Screenshot 2024-09-10 101609.jpg

 Out of the box the Set button is disabled. Did someone inadvertently change the button assignment to "4" which would be the depth of field preview button? See page 266 of your camera manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements