cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking filters

Canonbassist909
Enthusiast

What are your thoughts on sticking lens filters… 58 mm for Lens size , filters are UV and CPL 

What are the advantages? 

cheers all ! 

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You will doubtless get a variety of opinions for the use of filters, and while I use high quality filters to protect the front elements of my lenses, I don't see the point of stacking filters. The more glass you add, the more chance of diffraction and reflection.  While I accept that is a case for a protect filter, I consider that an acceptable price to pay for the protection they offer, but if I want a CPL filter, I remove the UV or protect filter and replace it with the CPL.  On wide-angle lenses there is a greater risk of introducing mechanical vignetting.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

hey Trevor .. thanks much for the reply .. im personally not using wide angle at all.. very straight forward 75-300 canon lens .. I do have a CPL on there now.. im upgrading the filter from a no name brand to a HOYA alpha  2 series .. and with what ive been reading . that brand is pretty good .. 

I still would not stack filters, if you have a CPL on it, what is the purpose of the UV lens? 

I will hold my tongue on the 75-300...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I didn’t know that filters could have threads so that you could stack them. Even if you could stack them, then you could have problems with vignetting. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I would say that a CPL filter serves a purpose. It can cut through glare and reflections and make your blue skies bluer, but it will also cut your available light by around 1.5 stops. You'll have to lower your shutter speed, or widen your aperture, or increase your ISO to compensate.

I'd say that the CPL serves a purpose, so only use it when you want that purpose served.

I have a clear protective filter on all my lenses (I can't remember if they are UV or not). I'll stack a CPl on top of it, but that's just because I forget the clear filter is there to begin with. I've never noticed any serious vignetting as a result, but maybe that's because I'm not that accomplished as a photographer anyway.

I did try to stack a 10 stop ND filter on top of a 3 stop ND filter the other day to get a 13 stop filter, but the results were way off. I haven't figured out yet what I was doing wrong.

I do know that I was trying a night time shot a while back that had an external light source off to the side and got a horrible light flare. I've learned in the meantime to take my clear/UV filter off with that kind of shot.

Steve Thomas

I use a CPL filter particularly for cutting through water or glass reflection.   These days, a lot of the functions to make colours more dense or dehaze can be done in post.  

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements