cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So a final thought on 80d...

DDKusz
Apprentice
Hello everyone! Greetings from a newbie 🙂

I've read several posts on 80d here and saw many complaints on the 80d and also many great reviews. I'm intensely researching via this forum and others, youtube reviews, etc and self debating on what to get (driving me nuts especially since I'm the queen of indecisiveness).

I currently own a t3i rebel, the kit lens it came with 18-55, 55-250, 50mm, and most recently the Tamron dc vi ii 18-400 (which i really like). I was torn between the 80d and 7dMK2 mainly because they're crop sensor and the lenses I own (except 50mm) are all for the crop type camera. Eventually down the road I would absolutely love to go FF (5dm3). So I wouldn't want to invest on any further (aps-c) lenses unless it will be compatible with a FF sensor.

So.... my question is for 80d past/present owners, 2 years after the release of the 80d (and I understand a rumor of 90d is expected soon), how do you like it? Hate it? Avoid it? Or go for it? 7dMK2 - yay or nay?

My main reason for upgrading from the t3i is the 3 fps vs the 7dMK2 at 10 and 80 at 7 (or 8). I miss THE shot of my boys or its blurred, I need auto focus. Also, I strongly believe that with the Tamron 18-400 lens (f/3.5-6.5?), it would work more efficiently on a newer camera that has a somewhat faster processor. Is this correct?

As far as pictures go, I'm not a professional but understand the basics. I'm reading and learning and have found the responses in this particular forum EXTREMELY informative and supportive!! So many thanks in advance. I'm a mom of 3 active boys in outdoor/indoor soccer among other things. I also enjoy shooting landscape and wildlife but not necessarily birds in flight. And of course portraits of my boys and extended family. I wouldn't mind in the far future doing portraits as a hobby for others but right now it's just family pictures.

As far as shooting wise, I have now understood the difference between raw vs jpeg (thanks to many contributors on here who have explained very well). I shoot on jpeg with the soccer games since I do not have the time to sit through and process. But I would consider shooting in raw + jpeg. Is it worth it though?

I much appreciate the time on reading this. Any further info, references to webs, resources are greatly appreciated. I have also seen many of Tony Northrup videos on youtube. Any other reputable sources? Thanks in advance.
Debora
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StanNH
Rising Star

My 80D is better than I am.

it replaced a very nice T6S.  Excellent viewfinder, generous battery life, good dynamic range, excellent AF system, a tilt touch screen, user friendly menus, and a relatively compact body ... I am quite happy with this 80D and find it to be an easy camera to recommend to others.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

DDKusz
Apprentice
Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated!
Announcements