cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 150-600 Contemporary won't communicate properly with R5 and R6 since firmware upgrade

markphoto
Contributor

I'm using the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary with an EF-R adapter on my R5 and R6.  It worked fine, until I upgraded the camera firmware to the latest version.  Since then, I get an Error 01, "Communications between the devices is faulty.  Check the camera, lens, or mount adapter contacts". 

I have tried cleaning all the contracts with isopropyl alcohol.

Has anybody encountered this problem?  Will upgrading the lens firmware solve the problem?  I would have to purchase the lens dock to do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I certainly think that it is worth a try.  However, Sigma have consistently said that they did not design these lenses to work with the new R-series bodies, and that they do not guarantee the results.

Mark, given that the last firmware update I have is 1.6.0, and my system still works fine, I would suggest saving the camera's current configuration to one of the Custom settings (C1-C3) and then doing a camera reset to see if that resolves the issue.  If not, you can then restore your camera back to the previous configuration.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have been using the Sigma 150-600c lens for two years with both the R5 and R6 bodies with no issues whatsoever. However, I have always kept the Sigma firmware up to date - I strongly recommend that in its own right as there have been several improvements over time.  The docking station is worth getting as you can really tweak the features of the lens to your needs.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I was told by Sigma there isn't any update to the firmware for the 150-600C.  I had a dock on order and cancelled it.  When I go to their support site, the latest firmware is Ver. 2.03, dated 2020.08.20 (well before I purchased the lens).  I will have to get a dock to see if Sigma's Optimization Pro can do better than that.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about the dock

You said: I had a dock on order and cancelled it. then...  I will have to get a dock to see if Sigma's Optimization Pro can do better than that.  Can you clarify please?

cheers, TREVOR

In looking at our parallel situations, I am trying to find something different between our setups.  Can you advise what brand EF-RF adapter you are using please.  I am using the Canon basic EF-RF adapters.

cheers, TREVOR

I’m using Canon’s EF-R Adapters, the ’plain’, basic one in my R6 and the Control Ring Adapter on the R5.  Same problem with both.

amfoto1
Authority

If it were me, I'd contact Sigma to see if they are aware of the problem and have a solution.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

I certainly think that it is worth a try.  However, Sigma have consistently said that they did not design these lenses to work with the new R-series bodies, and that they do not guarantee the results.

Mark, given that the last firmware update I have is 1.6.0, and my system still works fine, I would suggest saving the camera's current configuration to one of the Custom settings (C1-C3) and then doing a camera reset to see if that resolves the issue.  If not, you can then restore your camera back to the previous configuration.

cheers, TREVOR

I'll try that.

Can you point me to somewhere that explains how to save your configuration to the Custom Settings and putting it back?  It’s not something I’ve used before.  

Announcements