cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter sticking, skipping and jumping around!

ldcurry
Apprentice

Canon EOS R - I shoot in manual. When I adjust the shutter speed, the shutter will either stick (stay at 1/320 for three clicks then adjust) or it will skip and jump around (say I am at 1/320 and I want to increase the speed, the shutter may stick at first but then it will move to 1/400, 1/640, back down to 1/250 then to 1/800).  It's been doing this off and on for about the last 5 weeks. didn't think much of it at first but now it slows me down when shooting. Camera is about 3.5 years old. I have the latest firmware on it since last summer. I can't find anything that would cause this. I do use my camera a lot!  Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Sorry to learn you are having issues.  Have you made any customizations of the camera?   If so, the first thing I would suggest is to clear custom functions and see if that clears some software that is conflicting with the focusing operation.

If that doesn't work, then I would suggest trying another lens - to see if there is a diaphragm issue with the one you have, unlikely as that may seem.  From the description you offered it is likely the shutter has suffered some kind of malfunction.    If you have not done so, I would recommend calling Canon Support on 0800 - OK - Canon and have a talk to them.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements