cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter freezes in creative zone mode 77D

albusthewhite
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a fairly new Canon 77D (probably only taken about 1000 shots). Everything works fine when I am in one of the automatic exposure settings. As soon as I switch it to manual, it will not take a picture without me pushing the shutter button twice. I am not talking about pushing halfway and then full, I am talking about two full. I push the shutter release to half and hold it to compose the picture, press full, and the shutter comes down and never comes up again. I can walk 30 feet and press the shutter again, and I will get a picture of whatever the camera was looking at then, not what I first aimed it at.

The viewfinder and the back of the camera screen both go completely black and I can't see anything to make adjustments to the composition.

This happens on both auto and manual focus.

I have confirmed it has nothing to do with the lens (tried two, and there is no problem with them on my other camera) and I have reset the camera to factory settings without that solving the problem.

Googling has only yielded a lot of descriptions of camera functions and how to press the button halfway, which is not helpful.

Can anyone help with this? At this point I'm guessing a defective mechanism, but if there is something that will save me sending it in for repair, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It was not that, but it was something else in the custom settings - the shutter button was set to begin AE, which obviously doesn't work on manual. Poor camera must have been confused. I reset the shutter button to metering only, and that took care of it. Thanks for directing me there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Check to see if you have Mirror Lock Up set in the custom settings.

It was not that, but it was something else in the custom settings - the shutter button was set to begin AE, which obviously doesn't work on manual. Poor camera must have been confused. I reset the shutter button to metering only, and that took care of it. Thanks for directing me there.

How did you change shutter button settings?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If something like this happens, sometimes it is best just to reset all the settings.

Announcements