cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter count question

Pozo
Contributor

Does anyone in the forum know how I can determine the shutter count I have logged on my T3i? The camera is still going strong without any problems at all (except for a few dead pixels that appear as tiny red spots in some images). I am mostly just curious about this. Is there any indication how many shutter releases the average T3i can be expected to fire? My T3i is my first dslr and it has served that role fabulously.

25 REPLIES 25

Actually I have never asked over the phone.  I am only going by what others have reported.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There you go then!

I asked-and was refused the information- by email. Now CanonCustomer Service has done a teflon-shouldered shrug of the problem onto another department.

Not impressive for such an inconsequential piece of information that I have a right to know about my wholly-owned Canon product.

From your dissatification with Canon CS, I think a switch to Nikon would be a good idea for you.  I wish you all the luck and do hope they meet your expectations.

EB

The attached is an example of Canon's Customer Service re the shutter count problem.

Date: 09/02/2015
Service Request:1-3515164503

Dear Mr. (Juanjo)

Thank you for your email. Giving out the shutter information is against Canon Inc. policy, therefore I won`t be able to give you a direct answer.

I understand your frustration, however I won`t be able to help you any further with your shutter-count query.

Yours sincerely,

Csaba Grosz
Canon Services & Support

MY policy is is to change  manufacturers when a Customer Service (sic) operation quotes "against Company policy" as as excuse for not helping me.  Bye bye Canon you have now lost a loyal customer for many years with several of your products.

@Juanjo99 wrote:

MY policy is is to change  manufacturers when a Customer Service (sic) operation quotes "against Company policy" as as excuse for not helping me.  Bye bye Canon you have now lost a loyal customer for many years with several of your products.

You'll probably find that your next manufacturer takes the same attitude. They can all get away with it if they all do it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"You'll probably find that your next manufacturer takes the same attitude"

Switching brands is a ridiculous thought over this but for this guy it is the thing to do.  Besides Canon can not tell how many clicks are on his camera over the phone.  They need the camera!

If anything in my dealings with brand-N, things are worse than at Canon.  Much worse.  I still have a couple Nikon bodies! Smiley Indifferent

I have had nothing but great results in my dealings with CPS over the years.  All companies should be this way.  A big reason why I was so down on Sigma, Tamron and non-existant Tokina.  Sigma is better, not in the the same class as Canon but they are trying.

EB

"Besides Canon can not tell how many clicks are on his camera over the phone. They need the camera!"

Canon was NOT asked over the phone but by email for instructions on how to get the shutter count of my Canon camera(s).

They did not want to tell me "because of Company policy"!   (Sheesh!)

Whether over the phone or by email instructions, it still may not be possibile to do.  "Company policy" may just be the easy out answer.

EB

"Whether over the phone or by email instructions, it still may not be possibile to do. "Company policy" may just be the easy out answer".  

That is probably true although I suspect it is more motivated by commercial objectives because other software vendors do not seem to have the same problem.  Hence my disgust!

I don't know about other software vendors but I do know Nikon and I seriously doubt you will get any further or any satisfaction from them either.  But you can go for it.

EB
Announcements