cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter actuations for Canon 1Ds Mk III

moisote
Apprentice

How can I determine the total number of shutter actuations for my 1Ds Mk III ?  Does it really require getting some specialty software ?

34 REPLIES 34

I am looking at buying a refurbished EOS camera, should I be concerned about the number of shutter actuations? What happens if the maximum amount of shutter actuations has been met? Sorry, I am new to all of this.

Thanks in advance.

First do you want a 1 series?  They are big and they are heavy.  Are you sure you want that?  Of course you do! Smiley Happy

They are the finest machines there is.  But I would avoid some 1 series versions.  For instance don't buy a 1D or 1Ds.

Next don't buy a 1D Mk II.  The 1D Mk IIn is a very good buy, however. The 1Ds Mk II is not a bad deal but not a great one either.

But the best buy without a doubt in a 1 series is the 1D Mk III.  The 1Ds Mk III is still pretty pricy as a lot are still working hard in the pro arena.  The 1D Mk IV is the real jewel but still on the high side cost wise.  Lots of peopel want them as they are the last of the 1.3 sensor.

Any part of a Mk III can be replaced.  The shutter is rated at 300,000 clicks but I know of some that have gone over half a million and are still merrily shooting away with no issues.  I think a shutter is around $250 to have Canon replace one.

Look for a decent one and don't worry about the shutter. Buy it, use it and be happy with a great camera for 10 cents on the dollar.  If you do need the shutter replaced you will essentially have a brand new camera ready for another 300,000 clicks give or take a few thousand.

Be warned, once you go 1 series you will never be satisified with any lesser camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the reply, ebiggs1.

I am actually looking at the Rebel series of cameras due to price. I can't afford anything too expensive.Smiley Happy

Oh, OK but be very careful buying a used Rebel. They are great cameras but they are way more fragile and do not have as robust shutter. (50,000 tops)  Make sure you get to try it before you buy it.  Plus the shutter is probably not going to be cost effective to have repaired (or much of anything else for that matter) if it fails on you.  Try to find one you know the history of.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Oh, OK but be very careful buying a used Rebel. They are great cameras but they are way more fragile and do not have as robust shutter. (50,000 tops)  Make sure you get to try it before you buy it.  Plus the shutter is probably not going to be cost effective to have repaired (or much of anything else for that matter) if it fails on you.  Try to find one you know the history of.

She said refurbished, so I would assume she's buying directly from Canon.  In which case, it should be considered as good as new.

Yes, I have been looking at the refurbished cameras on this website being sold by Canon. Sorry I didn't mention this in the begining. 

Thank you guys!

" I have been looking at the refurbished cameras ..."

That's OK but this thred was about a used 1Ds Mk III, so I hope that beter explains my answer to you.  Sorry for my misunderstanding. Smiley Sad

EB

@michaelPH46 wrote:

Every where I searched I got incorrect advice from everyone. Seems people like to hear themselves talk when they cannot answer factually and accurately. If you want the shutter count on a canon eos 1ds mark 3, go to this site. I got an accurate count there.  http://shuttercounter.com/

Regret to inform you, but you're severely misinformed and/or lead others down the wrong path, as the so-called EXIF at mentioned by you website produces a generic info I managed to get from a free picture viewer program I own -- pretty much down to a single letter and word order. At first, yes, it looks impressive, spitting out an endless array of semi-pertinent stuff, but an accurate shutter counter -- not a  chance!

It gave me a number of actuations of 5025 -- exactly the same number as the image number submitted: IMG_5025.

So, basically it's the number of the image since the image counter reached its maximum of 9999 and then reset itself to zero and NOT a number of actuations from the camera's day 1.

To prove my point, my 1D MkIII 2 years ago was checked by Canon and verified as having over 48K actuations. TWO years ago - and that's about 20+K actuations less than today in 2016, so I believe I made my point..

So, with due respect, if I were you, I'd abstain from making unverified /unconfirmable statements, dispensed as an iron-handed veritas of the last hierarchy.

Merry X-mas....

I donot understand why anyone should be upset.  I have done this check several  times over the last few years years.  My shutter count has not been going up. Instead it has been going down!! LOL

Actually i would think an easy mistake to make as i did it as well, but then could not figure out why the numbers were different, and if my camera had developed a problem or the first local  "Canon repair shop"   gave me a bad count, because dealer repairman  number two, had  said camera had to be sent to New York to get a count from the US Canon distributor. 

Sometime in 2007 to 2012, there was a local area  "Canon repair shop" or so they said, who without sending the camera anywhere, gave me a shutter count of 60,000 or so.* They cleaned the dust, et al, and did a great job for a relatievely small sum of money.* 

* I can not remember their name,  the exact date, the exact shutter count (that they gave me), the exact cost of the service, after the years since the work but they are no longer around. 

Another dealer later cleaned the camera but said there was no way that anybody  could determine the shutter number on a 1DS mk ii or mkiii without sending it to Canon distributor in NY. 

I had acquired a second hand Markiii by then, but still used the mark ii as well. However, as some know, the Ds ii was a big time dust bunny and i was too concerned about damaging the sensor to do anything more than blow the dirt and dust with a manual squeeze blower.  Swabing struck me as a good way to scratch the sensor with my lack of proper training. 

Why does not Canon make the software generally available to everyone, including their dealers?

This thread is 4 years old. You may want to start a new one if you have interest in this subject.

EB
Announcements