cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharpness suggested setting ideas for EOS Rebel T7

Canonbassist909
Enthusiast

Hey everyone ! 

what would ya suggest I set my rebel t7 with 70-300 lens attached to sharpen my photos ?  Any suggested mode , etc .. 

thanks ,much all ! 

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings 

You can artificially enhance sharpness using picture styles. 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART173812#:~:text=You%20can%20customize%20a%2....

Most editing software has a sharpening feature as well.  You can also use DPP in conjunction with Canon lens profiles, which optimizes the images captured by your camera and Canon lenses?

However, nothing helps more than good technique.  Practice, read your cameras manual and practice some more.  This will help you master the full potential from your photography.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I saved the link you posted … I’ve been hearing about DPP but what is it exactly ? The more I learn.. the better 😎😎

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Canonbasist909,

The short time tested answer is "a tripod" which provides a stationary and steady platform for the camera but that may or may not be practical for you or answer your question.  

More specifically, I'll second everything that Rick said on good technique, practice and reading the manual.

You did not mention under what circumstances or types of shooting produce unsharp results.  Since the 70-300 is a tele-zoom lens and has image stabilization (that helps a lot) your shutter speed may be too slow, your subject's moving (and the shutter speed is too slow) or the camera isn't steady or is picking up and focusing on something different than what you want in focus.  The telezoom magnifys any unsteadiness and the lenses IS (if on and it should be on pretty much all the time) can only compensate a limited number of stops and your settings and active focus points matter.

In addition to Rick's suggestions, you may want to take advantage your camera's Basic Zone modes that pick the camera settings that best suit what you intend to photograph.  Please check page 30 of the manual for descriptions of what those modes are what they best suited for.  For instance, I sometimes use Sports mode to shoot wildlife, birds and insects that tend "not to stay still" with decent results.  

Hope this help!

LZ 

Sorry about that… I should have mentioned my surroundings for the photos, it will be for a military air show … a tripod is something I am considering 

my shutter speed is set rather high and was able to get some good shots from last years settings..

Ahh,

A tripod probably wouldn't be practical in that planes may be coming from every direction at a high speed.

kvbarkley suggestion is good.  Practice panning on moving objects like cars driving down the street, etc.  

While your doing so, try switching the camera to Sports Mode and see that improves the sharpness vs. other settings like Av, Tv, P, etc. when panning and shooting cars or other moving objects.

Good luck!

I’ll try the sport mode.. I have yet to try that. 😎

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For Airshows, you really have to work on your panning technique.

IMG_6622.jpg

Ahh yes the thunderbirds ! Diamond ! Got to love the viper ! 

oh yea .. the panning I’ve had lots of practice but always trying to get more in … 

Greetings,

DPP is a image editor.  Its a free powerful editing application provided by Canon.  You can download it form the product support portal for your camera.

Here is its user guide:

Canon : Product Manual : Digital Photo Professional (start.canon)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements