cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor Cleaning Question

shoutinhalls
Contributor

Greetings all!

I am a very new photographer and think I may have gotten something on my sensor. I called a local place that cleans them but they gave me contradicting information:

First he said that the spots in my photos should not change size regardless of the zoom on the lens, then he said that it could change when I was just going to try and clean the lens again.

I am just trying to find out if the spots could be on the sensor and not the lens, even though they change size when zoomed in or out. Want to get that cleared up before spending $50 on something that may not resolve the issue, I already have checked the lens and see nothing wrong on either side.

These are two photos where you can see the difference of the spot in the top right corner

thanks!

wv 2-2016-009.jpgwv 2-2016-003.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Zooming by itself won't change the size of a sensor dust spot, but the spot will become more in focus, and thus smaller, as the aperture gets smaller.

Depending on which camera you have you may or may not have auto sensor cleaning. It occurs each time you shut off or restart the camera. You can also force it to occur by actuating the step with the red arrow in the screen capture below.

If you have a Rocket Blower (never use any canned air) you could try manual ccleaning - blue arrow.

You remove the lens, actuate manual cleaning and the mirror goes up and the shutter opens. Give a few puffs from the blower and see if you can dislodge the dust spot.

You can Google many vidoes on how to clean the sensor.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Dirt and dust particles on the sensor should not change size due to changes in a zoom lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Dirt and dust particles on the sensor should not change size due to changes in a zoom lens.

What about changes to aperture? Someone else claimed that this may change the size of the spot

@shoutinhalls wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

What about changes to aperture? Someone else claimed that this may change the size of the spot

I suppose I wasn't explicit enough.  I was only referring to zoom, just as the OP was asking about.

@shoutinhalls wrote:

Yes, different apertures could account for the different sizes.

Definitely something on the sensor, not the lens. 

Dust delete can hide it but you need to address the dust. 

Get a a rocket blower.  Lock up the mirror.  Blow a couple dozen air blasts onto the sensor.  Take some more photos of a clear blue sky or a white wall to see if it helped enough.  

If if not look into how to clean your sensor. It isn't as hard as some folks make it sound. There are pre moistened swipe sticks to do a wet clean.

I use something super easy. It is a plastic stick with a slightly sticky blue gel tip.  After each use, you then blot the dust off the tool tip using sticky tape they give you.  Look up Eyelead sensor cleaner tool. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi all,

I ended up taking this to a shop in town and they showed me on the sensor where two small pieces of dust were, very clear with a loupe. I decided to have it cleaned professionally because I tend to be clumsy, they were great, only $50, and the guy said he would clean again for free if anything popped up within the next 7 days. Thanks for everyone’s help!

@shoutinhalls wrote:

Hi all,

I ended up taking this to a shop in town and they showed me on the sensor where two small pieces of dust were, very clear with a loupe. I decided to have it cleaned professionally because I tend to be clumsy, they were great, only $50, and the guy said he would clean again for free if anything popped up within the next 7 days. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Smart move.  If in doubt, let an expert do it, or show you how.  Never be afraid to ask questions because it might make you look dumb.  My definition of dumb questions are the questions that you're too afraid pr embarassed to ask.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@shoutinhalls wrote:

Hi all,

Smart move.  If in doubt, let an expert do it, or show you how.  Never be afraid to ask questions because it might make you look dumb.  My definition of dumb questions are the questions that you're too afraid pr embarassed to ask.

The one other dumb question is - 'Will you marry me?' I've been paying for that one for over 30 years.

"The one other dumb question is - 'Will you marry me?' I've been paying for that one for over 30 years."  

"Do you know why divorce is so expensive?  Because it is worth it."  Rooster Cogburn

Announcements