cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL1 photo transfer with HDMI

monsterdeer
Contributor

I am old and stupid. I googled and googled and can not find how to transfer my pictures on a SL1 using an HDMI cable to my laptop. I need idiot proof instructions. I am so lame I cant even figure how to load any canon software including DPP4 on to my laptop. Treat me like an idiot like I am. Think computer and camera mentally challenged. Or trying to explain what I want to a 6 year old.

usingg HDMI. Righgt now 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

monsterdeer,

If you go to this page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/eos-utilities

It will ask you what camera you have. Click on the SL1.

The web site will detect the operating system of your computer, and direct you to the drivers and downloads page for the camera and computer you are using.

Find the  EOS Utilities and click on it to start your download. Once you've got downloaded and installed, you can use that software to download your photos over a USB cable. Your manual should tell you the best cable to use. I personally would go with their recommendation.

You don't use HDMI to transfer photos. That's done either by way of  USB or taking your card out and using a card reader, or the memory card port on your laptop, if it has one.

I, myself, have the best luck, if I start the EOS Utility on my computer first, and after it boots up, then turn on my camera.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There are no dumb questions here.  You cannot transfer images through an HDMI cable, but you can view on your TV 🙂

Do you still have the cable that came with the camera?  It fits the AV/Out Digital port.

shadowsports_0-1710803660262.png

If you don't, I suggest you purchase a Card Reader.  

shadowsports_1-1710803894505.png

Or if you want, a cable which is the same price.

shadowsports_3-1710804038806.png

Either of these would allow you to transfer images to a PC or MAC.  The card reader might be the easiest.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I hooked up a generic usb cord you showed me to two laptops and both do not recognize the camera. do i need some software?

Camera screen shows a computer icon.

So new computer does not recognize the camera. old laptop recognizes but says dcmi is empty. looks like a sd card reader is the way to go. If anyone knows how I can download the canon utilities to my laptops it will be greatly appreciated. I get to the canon downlads  and canon recognizes my operating sytem but there is no link or button to click on to start the download.

monsterdeer,

If you go to this page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/eos-utilities

It will ask you what camera you have. Click on the SL1.

The web site will detect the operating system of your computer, and direct you to the drivers and downloads page for the camera and computer you are using.

Find the  EOS Utilities and click on it to start your download. Once you've got downloaded and installed, you can use that software to download your photos over a USB cable. Your manual should tell you the best cable to use. I personally would go with their recommendation.

You don't use HDMI to transfer photos. That's done either by way of  USB or taking your card out and using a card reader, or the memory card port on your laptop, if it has one.

I, myself, have the best luck, if I start the EOS Utility on my computer first, and after it boots up, then turn on my camera.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

What operating system are you using the camera with?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

windows 10

click here to view the gallery
Announcements