cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL1 Communication with lens faulty - Err 01 - only in Landscape mode

ElGuito
Contributor

Hello. My Rebel SL1 suddenly started to display ERR 01 Communications between lensa and camera is faulty - clean lens contacts.
I tried several scenarios, the lens works fine in all modes, EXCEPT Landscape, where it shows the error, sometimes goes past the error and the images are way overexposed. Also auto focus tries and tries.
Repeat, only on Landscape mode.
I checked for firmware updates for SL1 and there's none.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens? Do you have another one?

Lens is SIGMA 24-70mm HF Aspherical.
works just fine in all modes, except Landscape.

Do you have another lens to try?, Especially a Canon? This really sounds like the lens. At the very least buy a "nifty 50" 50mm/f1.8.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I am leaning more towards a camera problem. The Landscape icon chooses Landscape Picture Style and biases exposure towards a smaller aperture for greater DOF.

If camera works properly in every other dial postion I don't see how it can be the lens.

Try slightly wiggling the Mode dial; perhaps there's a contact issue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the replies.
I did try another lens. Also in Landscape mode cannot focus, tries and tries, and the images are way overexposed. Does not display ERR 01 and locks the camera, but the symptoms are the same.

Fortunately I have a Canon service center nearby.
Unfortunately, the last and only time I brought in a camera for repair (a different camera) the repair fee was two thirds the cost of a new body.

Announcements