cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card problem

johnrae
Apprentice

Have 64GB Lexar SD card that reads all files fine in both of my 5D Mk4s but will only copy half of card before error message- unable to copy file unreadable.  Card had been tested, copied, tested, copied and formatted fine before this message.

Help

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johnrae wrote:

Have 64GB Lexar SD card that reads all files fine in both of my 5D Mk4s but will only copy half of card before error message- unable to copy file unreadable.  Card had been tested, copied, tested, copied and formatted fine before this message.

Help

It is highly inadvisable to swap cards between cameras, at least not without a low level reformat.  Always perform a “low level format” on the card, using the camera, prior to first use.

Make sure that you always use full size SD cards, not micro-SD cards with the adapters, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

It is highly inadvisable to swap cards between cameras, at least not without a low level reformat.

People in this forum keep saying that, but I've done if for years and never had a problem. You have to pay attention, because the camera may start a new folder on the card, rather than share a folder with the card's previous host. Which means that when you have the card in a card reader, you may have to prowl around a little to find your files. But once you know where to look, there's nothing difficult about it.

This is not to say that there can't be cases where the camera will want to use a file system inconsistent with the one already on the card, but I'd expect it to tell you that it can't read the card and that you need to reformat it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"It is highly inadvisable to swap cards between cameras ..."

I agree Robert.  I never had a problem but that's isn't saying it can't be an issue.   I also never had a problem formatting on the computer but I usually don't. I don't recommend it either.   Especially for folks on a Mac. I am Windoze.  But it does work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

It is highly inadvisable to swap cards between cameras, at least not without a low level reformat.

People in this forum keep saying that, but I've done if for years and never had a problem. You have to pay attention, because the camera may start a new folder on the card, rather than share a folder with the card's previous host. Which means that when you have the card in a card reader, you may have to prowl around a little to find your files. But once you know where to look, there's nothing difficult about it.

This is not to say that there can't be cases where the camera will want to use a file system inconsistent with the one already on the card, but I'd expect it to tell you that it can't read the card and that you need to reformat it.

I suppose it depends upon the cameras.  I assume that you have done it successfully.  I would be worried about the new host being able to name files, without overwriting existing files.  Speaking of which, can the new host play back the pre-existing files?

Cards are inexpensive enough, that I do not see reason to do it.

"I suppose it depends upon the cameras."

Mine have always been Canon bodies usually a 1 series but several Rebels thrown in, too.  I have not or at least try not to mix my brand-N cards with the Canon cards.

"I assume that you have done it successfully"

It doesn't seem to make a difference and it has worked.  Again speaking about Windows machines.  Here is the rub, when you are a pro in business and failure isn't an option, you don't do anything that can possibly, no matter how tiny, cause a problem.

You are a hobby shooter, if that special shot doesn't come out or a card fails, there is always tomorrow.  No biggie.  Big difference between 'have to' and 'funsy' !

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I suppose it depends upon the cameras."

Mine have always been Canon bodies usually a 1 series but several Rebels thrown in, too.  I have not or at least try not to mix my brand-N cards with the Canon cards.

"I assume that you have done it successfully"

It doesn't seem to make a difference and it has worked.  Again speaking about Windows machines.  Here is the rub, when you are a pro in business and failure isn't an option, you don't do anything that can possibly, no matter how tiny, cause a problem.

You are a hobby shooter, if that special shot doesn't come out or a card fails, there is always tomorrow.  No biggie.  Big difference between 'have to' and 'funsy' !

Cards are inexpensive enough, that i see no reason to swap cards between bodies.  Carry extras.  I do.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I suppose it depends upon the cameras.  I assume that you have done it successfully.  I would be worried about the new host being able to name files, without overwriting existing files.  Speaking of which, can the new host play back the pre-existing files?

Cards are inexpensive enough, that I do not see reason to do it.

If there's going to be a naming issue (and sometimes even if there isn'at), the camera will generally start a new folder.

It's not the cost of a card; it's the nuisance of having to keep track of which card goes with which camera. You'll probably suggest that I reformat the card before each use. But the longer you go without formatting the card, the less likely you are to discover that you've inadvertently deleted something that you haven't yet adequately backed up.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Have 64GB Lexar SD card..."

Get a new SD card.  Why risk it?  Unlikely it is a formatting problem.

EB

johnrae
Apprentice

All:

Thanks for all the answers- problem has been solved.  Turns out that the new SD card and an old card reader were not happy with each other.  When I put the card a new reader all files came up- no losses.  Phew.  Curious that older USB reader showed that the 64GB card only had a 29GB capacity. Not 32, not 16, 29GB- and card was shot full to 64gb.  Go figure.

Announcements