cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring Adapter for EF to RF lenses

garyhile
Contributor

Is it mandatory to remove the adapter from R7 camera before removing lens from the adapter? 

This sounds silly, but the manual makes it sound that way. I carry my landscape lens with me and my Zoom on the camera while we are shooting. Carrying the landscape lens around my neck on a holder for canon lenses allows for a quick exchange. Hence, my question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Gary and welcome:
No, it's not mandatory to remove the adapter if one is switching one EF lens for another and thus continuing to use the adapter.  What SHOULD if not MUST be done is to turn the camera off.   Opening up the body to the open air by taking off the lens, especially for a mirrorless camera, exposes the sensor to dust and, if the camera is turned on, the sensor is slightly electrostatically charged, thus it will attract dust that will appear on your images.   So, the process is: turn off the camera, point it lens down, remove 1st lens, attach 2nd lens, cap first lens and turn back on again.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Gary and welcome:
No, it's not mandatory to remove the adapter if one is switching one EF lens for another and thus continuing to use the adapter.  What SHOULD if not MUST be done is to turn the camera off.   Opening up the body to the open air by taking off the lens, especially for a mirrorless camera, exposes the sensor to dust and, if the camera is turned on, the sensor is slightly electrostatically charged, thus it will attract dust that will appear on your images.   So, the process is: turn off the camera, point it lens down, remove 1st lens, attach 2nd lens, cap first lens and turn back on again.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you Trevor

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The manual does state that the adapter should be mounted and removed from a lens when it is not mounted to a body.  Its been a couple of years, but I remember taking it out of the box and putting it on my body and testing it with a few lenses.  Then I read the instructions 😆 (Ooops)   I switched lenses (camera turned off) many times the first day before I read the instructions.  I didn't have any issues, but it was not what canon recommends.  I suspect its for communications.  So best practice is mount to the lens off the body.

***Edit - I had this reply going during the time Trevor replied.  Just going by what the manual states.  😉

mountadapter-ef-eosr-im-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I do agree that the manual has said that, so no debate there, but I suspect this through an abundance if caution. For me, experience and common sense indicated that if the camera is off, and because we are looking at a simple set of contacts, I can see no logical reason why one should have to do that. 

Perhaps a Canon tech can explain their position on that.

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements