cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting thoughts on mystery "spot" on images from R5

garymak
Enthusiast

Attached are 5 screen shots of images showing the same dark spot in the upper middle.  This is from an R5 using multiple lenses ( 24-105mm, 100-500mm and 600mm lens)  and are from both stills and mp4 video.  The dark spot is in the exact same spot on every image/movie.  I noticed it before but forgot about it as it really is only noticeable when capturing images with a bright, clear, open sky, such as when shooting birds.  Because it's feint, any object (even clouds) in the frame in that spot will mask it, so I haven't seen it for a long time - not that it wasn't there, just haven't seen it due to the kinds of images I was taking until a recent spate of images under the previously mentioned conditions.  I think it's safe to say it's not a "dust spot on a lens" - in fact, nothing to do with any lens.

So, is this "dust on the sensor"? If so, is that relatively easy to get cleaned at a high-end camera shop?  Is this a damaged sensor, requiring repairs so expensive I'm better of buying a new camera?  Can I just blast it off and out with some canned air myself?

If you've seen this before or recognize it, I'd appreciate knowing what it is so I can get it resolved.

Thanks, Forum!24-105mm lens24-105mm lens600mm lens600mm lensScreen shot from an MP4 video (100-500mm lens)Screen shot from an MP4 video (100-500mm lens)100-500mm lens100-500mm lensscreen shot from an MP4 video (600mm lens )screen shot from an MP4 video (600mm lens )

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

You can go to your local camera store and buy a camera sensor cleaning kit for around $20.  If you've never tried using one, ask the folks at the camera store to explain the procedure to you.  It's easy, but you do want to follow the steps closely.  I've done this many times on various cameras.  It's nice not having to correct these spots in editing software on every single photo.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

View solution in original post

Aurora4233
Enthusiast

I've had a handful of these on sensors over the years and the rocket blower (bulb sort of thing) is great or I've used hospital syringes with thin IV attachments.  The key is generating some serious velocity.  The other trick I'd suggest is an obscenely bright flashlight that can highlight the small dust spots on the sensor.  I brace whatever blower tool I'm using against the frame and get the tip as close to (BUT NOT TOUCHING) the sensor then blow like crazy and you usually get lucky.

The sensor cleaning kit option is last resort and like suggested take advantage of anyone who has done it before.  I used a cleaning kit for the first time in a middle eastern desert without any tips (way before the YouTube helpful days) and I definitely made things worse several times before I ever got it all better.  But I did get it all better so there's hope.  Ideally you can find a YouTube set of tips for sensor cleaning whether you're blowing or swiping.

Best O' Luck!  With a bright flashlight you'll undoubtably find the offending speck.

Chris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Most likely a dust spot on the sensor. DO NOT use any canned air. You could try a rocket blower type squeeze blower.

Stop down to f/16 and shoot a blue sky and you may see more.

Very easy to remove in Lightroom, DPP4 or any editing software.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

You can go to your local camera store and buy a camera sensor cleaning kit for around $20.  If you've never tried using one, ask the folks at the camera store to explain the procedure to you.  It's easy, but you do want to follow the steps closely.  I've done this many times on various cameras.  It's nice not having to correct these spots in editing software on every single photo.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

Aurora4233
Enthusiast

I've had a handful of these on sensors over the years and the rocket blower (bulb sort of thing) is great or I've used hospital syringes with thin IV attachments.  The key is generating some serious velocity.  The other trick I'd suggest is an obscenely bright flashlight that can highlight the small dust spots on the sensor.  I brace whatever blower tool I'm using against the frame and get the tip as close to (BUT NOT TOUCHING) the sensor then blow like crazy and you usually get lucky.

The sensor cleaning kit option is last resort and like suggested take advantage of anyone who has done it before.  I used a cleaning kit for the first time in a middle eastern desert without any tips (way before the YouTube helpful days) and I definitely made things worse several times before I ever got it all better.  But I did get it all better so there's hope.  Ideally you can find a YouTube set of tips for sensor cleaning whether you're blowing or swiping.

Best O' Luck!  With a bright flashlight you'll undoubtably find the offending speck.

Chris

click here to view the gallery
Announcements