cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording to external recorder with EOS R

T-Rad
Apprentice
Hey guys,
I’m new to videography and I’m about to shoot my first wedding. I’m shooting with a canon EOS R and Atomos Ninja V external recorder/monitor.
My question is, is there a way to record straight to the Ninja V and bypass the camera’s SD card?
As of now, the only way I know how to do that is to record in Log at 10bit. I’m trying to avoid recording in Log because I’m not familiar with exposing it and I want to be safe. I can record at 1080p to the ninja but it also records to the SD card and I’m not sure what happens when the SD card runs out of space. The SSD I’m using with the ninja is 1TB. Part of the reason why I got the ninja was to not have to worry about running out of space.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

T-Rad
Apprentice
yes! I tested it out today. My thought was that if the card ran out of space while I was recording, the ninja would still be able to record the footage I was shooting. Turns out when the card runs out of space, the ninja stops recording as well. So I either watch how much space is on the card that’s in the camera and swap it out when it’s about to run out, or record strictly to the ninja. I’ll probably end up just swapping cards when it’s about to run out so I have a copy on the card and the ninja. And if I don’t bring enough cards, I can still record straight to the ninja.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Generally, you just hook up the HDMI of the R to the Ninja, but I don't know if the R has a "clean" HDMI out.

T-Rad
Apprentice
Right. I have it recording to the ninja but it’s also recording to the sd card in the camera. I tried taking the SD card out and just using the ninja but the camera won’t let me record with out a card in the slot. I’m fine with redundant recording but I’m just worried that I’ll run out of space on the card and the camera won’t let me record to the ninja from there on out.

If you are in live view mode it should just send video out to the HDMI, no recording the camera necessary. Though I am not familiar with the mirrorless.

Wedding video shot with an "R"?

If you are shooting longer than 29:59 and it shuts off during the speeches or toats don't say I didn't warn you.  Not to mention the amount of "battery" you'll need.  Buy a video camera if you want to shoot video.  Or take your chances.   Hope it works out.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@T-Rad wrote:
Right. I have it recording to the ninja but it’s also recording to the sd card in the camera. I tried taking the SD card out and just using the ninja but the camera won’t let me record with out a card in the slot. I’m fine with redundant recording but I’m just worried that I’ll run out of space on the card and the camera won’t let me record to the ninja from there on out.

If that happens, couldn't you just put in another card?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

T-Rad
Apprentice
I’m not planning on recording anything straight for 30 mins. If someone is going to give a 30 min speech kill me now. A simple push of the stop and record button to reset the camera doesn’t bother me. The bride and groom want video with an artistic touch, not necessarily to document all the hoopla that people have to say. Thanks for the warnings though!

T-Rad
Apprentice
yes! I tested it out today. My thought was that if the card ran out of space while I was recording, the ninja would still be able to record the footage I was shooting. Turns out when the card runs out of space, the ninja stops recording as well. So I either watch how much space is on the card that’s in the camera and swap it out when it’s about to run out, or record strictly to the ninja. I’ll probably end up just swapping cards when it’s about to run out so I have a copy on the card and the ninja. And if I don’t bring enough cards, I can still record straight to the ninja.

Hey there I may have missed this but I have the Ninja Inferno - you need to press record on the Atomos, not on the camera if you want to bypass the internal card.  Also set your camera power saving to not go to sleep, extend to 30 mins for example. My EOS R was going to sleep as it wasn't recording internally.

rayovacson
Apprentice

Did you figure all this out?  I am trying to figure out if I can record live video on a PC or if I can only use my Ninja.  If I am primarily recording in a studio I'd love to bypass shooting to a Ninja, then transferring to a PC.  Please let me know if you had any luck with what you were doing or if you might know how to capture directly to a PC.  Thanks and best of luck!

Announcements