cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for Buying a Used DSLR/Mirrorless Camera

froggy6703
Apprentice

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing my daughter a used camera and am looking for some advise on what I should/shouldn't be buying.  Currently my 13 old daughter has a used Canon PowerShot SX520 HS that she has been using for about a year now.  She really enjoys taking up close nature photos, which this camera does very well.  She really wants to get into a camera that can swap out different lenses and have more features to help her improve her skills behind the camera.  I am on a tight budget, and the fact that she really hasn't taken hold of this hobby I don't want to buy new.  I am really hoping we could find something used instead.

I am curious though, is there good places to buy used cameras?  We bought the PowerShot off Facebook Marketplace, but got really lucky in the fact that the previous owners only used it a couple of times at a wedding.  

As for age, how old is too old when it comes to a cameras age?  I found a list online of all Canon models of cameras.  I see there are some that are discontinued, but are those still a good camera for a beginner.  

How about lenses, is there a certain size/type that fits each camera or are they all standard.  Is there certain lenses that you can only use on specific cameras?

I get it that buying used isn't going to expose her to all the new technology and features, but it seems the way we used a camera 5 years ago really boils down to same way we use them today.  So no you don't get all the cool stuff, but in the end you still get a photo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Matt

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Matt and Welcome.  

Buying from FB marketplace (private parties) is often a risky proposition.  Sounds like you got lucky.  

When buying new gear, you want to buy from a Canon authorized dealer.  The reasons why are well documented.  

Canon has a refurbished store that is a great place to get good deals on gear.  Refurbished items come with the same 1 yr warranty as new. 

Good sources for used gear are: KEH, B&H Photo, and Adorama used stores.  These stores specialize in used photography equipment.  Items are vetted, their condition is confirmed and items are fully tested.  You also get a guarantee.  It's the warranty that can matter when you buy used.  Typically you don't get that from a private party.  Suddenly that "good deal" isn't so good.  

Research is important.  You indicated a "tight budget".  We"ll need a actual number to even begin to make a suggestion.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Given your situation, it will help us to help you if you can consider the following article, answer the questions it poses, and share those with us.  They are not technical in nature, but concentrate on you and your daughter's needs, aspirations and limitations - e.g. budget, by which I mean an actual number.  Limited budget is rather imprecise and we want to stay within whatever that is.

The questions to consider when buying camera gear 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

normadel
Authority
Authority

Two top-notch used photo dealers that don't seem to get mentioned here are UsedPhotoPro.com and MPB.com. I have bought, sold and traded with them a lot. They rate and describe their wares and give six-month warranties. 

In the Canon world, DSLRs (the pre-mirrorless things) come two ways. . . .crop-sensor (called APS-C) and full-frame. Those known in the US as EOS Rebels are crop-sensor, as is the XXD family, from EOS 10D to 90D. Also the 7D/7D Mark II and 77D (which is an oddball). Full-frames are 6D, 5D and 1D families. The crop sensors cost less, and can use all Canon EF and EF-S lenses.  EF-Ses cost less than EF and come in focal lengths more appropriate for crop-sensor bodies.

Any Rebel from T1i-on can be a fine camera for your daughter to learn on. So can the 50D-on. Avoid older than 50D, in my opinion. 

froggy6703
Apprentice

Thank you for the replies.  I would say for a budget of $200 would be ideal, but not sure if that is going too realistic for a camera.  As for what she wants to do.  Mostly landscape scenery, flowers, trees, macro.  Interested in trying movement (rivers/waterfalls) and star/moon too but haven’t done much with those yet.

For what she wants to do with these images.  Really at this point nothing more that sharing with family and friends.  So high quality would be great, but it doesn’t have to be professional.

I appreciate the list of sellers, I agree Marketplace probably isn’t going to be a good option in the end.

Thank you again for the help on this matter.

Matt

Hi Matt:
Thanks for your response.  Well... $200 as a budget is very restrictive for an interchangeable lens camera - even an old one.   You might pick up an very old used DSLR model for that, but you have to be sure of its condition.

I am going to make a suggestion to you and her...  Really, she needs to increase the budget, to be assured of a reliable camera and at least one lens.  Given she has something at present, I would suggest that if she is keen to change her gear, she do some kinds of jobs (at home or elsewhere) that will be paid and allow her to augment the $200 already in the pot, so to speak.

There are two reasons for this.  First, she can afford a far better camera (not just model but condition); and second, by doing the work, she invests in the project and that will give her skin in the game and she will value both the camera and the activity even more.  In the meantime she does not have to be idle.

I was in a similar situation when I first began my photographic journey, back in 1980 and living in New Zealand where the cost of camera gear was astronomical (it still is, actually) because of our exchange rate and taxes.   So, I got a book on photography and devoured it for a year, while I saved up.   The book was typical of many such: explaining the principles, and then covering sample images over a range of conditions and genres.  Each image came with the gear and settings shot, the reason for choosing them, and comments about how the shot was composed.  Thus, teaching both the science and the art of photography.

I learnt a lot in that time, so that when I finally left NZ and could buy my gear duty and tax free, I had a fair idea of how to use the camera gear I got.  The rest was experience.  I can recommend books by Tom Ang (he lives in my city), but there are many others.

There are many books available out there, likely from the library for a start.  Also possibly from the library is a resource called LinkedIn Learning.  If you sign into the library website and browse the catalogue for that item, if it is available it will take you to a log on screen that is from a platform owned my Microsoft.  It covers a host of fairly technical subjects, from IT to engineering, but has an extensive library of courses on photography.  They are substantial videos, presented by professional trainers who are also great photographers and they are in easy to digest units that one can repeat.   You just need to record the link from the library to the logon portal and use the library credentials to access it free of charge.

Once in there, I recommend using the search box for photography, or even more specific Photography Fundamentals which is a whole series of subject for novice photographers, covering the whole gamut of concepts and skills.  There are even courses on specific cameras.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements