Received a t3i

Basic
Enthusiast

My daughter in law gave me a t3i camera that belonged to her grandpa. He only took 5 pictures total before putting it away. I have been taking pictures with it and so far seems to be working good. I put a better SD card in it and got some extra batteries for it. I also bought a Canon 50mm macro lens and rokinon 14mm wide angle lens. My main two interests are taking pictures of the homemade soap and cosmetics that we sell and shooting the stars. 

Would anyone recommend that I take it to a camera shop to have someone look it over and make sure everything is correct? I also thought about cleaning the sensor lens. I would love to hear someone else's thoughts. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would use RAW.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

103 REPLIES 103

Basic
Enthusiast
It's an old trash dump that they reclaimed and now use it for the local RC flyer club.

Basic
Enthusiast
I finally got some good shots but I'm going to have to redo the first stack because I learned the hard way that choosing every option on sequator doesn't make the picture better lol.

Basic
Enthusiast
I will send you a link this morning of what I got a day ago. I took shots in ISO 800,1600 and 3200. I'm still processing them right now but I will include pre-processed pics.

Basic
Enthusiast
When you look at the pictures you will notice that when I stack them they are dark but once I process them, they lighten up. I don't understand why.

Basic
Enthusiast

Nice point stars. You have the correct shutter sped dialed in. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
Thanks. I'm having fun with it. When you realized how old the light is and how far away some of those stars are, it makes the picture really special.

I collect all different kinds of antiques and taking a picture of the stars has been a collecting goal of mine.

I have two more photography goals. One is to take detailed pictures of the moon and the other is to capture some of the planets and deep sky objects. I have been researching telescopes and cameras for them. I'm also thinking about getting a ioptron tracker or something like it.

I'm trying to find a friend or a public place about 50 miles north west of me where there is no light pollution. I'm want to get better at taking star pics before I move on to more challenging shots and right now light pollution is making it difficult to take a very good photo of my sky.

Good info on this site. 

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1710846

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
I read about 1/2 dozen posts and I recognized a lot of the hardware that they were talking about. So I know that I was doing the right research, however the cost is unbelievable.

I wrote out a list last night on how to proceed and the hardware that I will need. I only have a $3,000 budget and that is based on my tax return lol.

I read an article last night about using an ioptron with my camera and taking a longer single shot instead of several shots and stacking them. Since I will need a tracker no matter what, I will make that my first purchase.

Basic
Enthusiast
I had a clear sky last night but a full moon. So I decided to play around with the pictures. I basically tried several different ISO settings. I also went out this morning after the moon went away and snapped 4 different sets of 10 pictures of Orion constilation.

Here's a link of just a few pictures. I'm using a downloaded "deep sky stacker" and I used it for these pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sh9kvv1hlgscbsk/AAAyBsbpQOeNh8ZFdIyHkv7ba?dl=0
Announcements