cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a t3i

Basic
Enthusiast

My daughter in law gave me a t3i camera that belonged to her grandpa. He only took 5 pictures total before putting it away. I have been taking pictures with it and so far seems to be working good. I put a better SD card in it and got some extra batteries for it. I also bought a Canon 50mm macro lens and rokinon 14mm wide angle lens. My main two interests are taking pictures of the homemade soap and cosmetics that we sell and shooting the stars. 

Would anyone recommend that I take it to a camera shop to have someone look it over and make sure everything is correct? I also thought about cleaning the sensor lens. I would love to hear someone else's thoughts. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would use RAW.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

103 REPLIES 103

Nice. I like how clear the Orion shots are.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm getting better.

Basic
Enthusiast

I was thinking about buying one of these lenses. I found a good deal on Amazon.

Rokinon 24mm is under $500 or 35mm is under $400both are f1.4 and manual focus. With 77mm filter.

I was also thinking about this Rokinon 135mm F2.0 ED UMC Telephoto Lens. It's $413

I'm going to use them for mainly astrophotography. However I'm leaning towards the 24mm 1st and the 35mm as my second choice. Any suggestions? 

Because we are dealing with little points of light in astrophotography lens distortions that don't matter in general photography become important. 

Look on YouTube for lens evaluations specifically for astrophotography. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I should have been more specific, my fault. I did a lot reading about rokinon lenses for astrophotography and the 14mm or 24mm were the top ones in that order. I already have the 14mm so I think I'm definitely going to get the 24mm. Do you have any suggestions for a macro lens. 

I have the Canon 100mm macro. Great lens. Can't comment on others. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I make and sell all natural bar soap, foaming soap and lip balm. Nothing is bigger 6 inch by 6 inch wide, would the 100mm lens work for product photos? 

Since you have a T3i I suggest you consider the Canon 60mm macro lens.

I know folks who have used it for insects on flowers, so your soap size should be no problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Basic
Enthusiast
Thanks. I really appreciate all of your help. I don't want to be a professional but I would like to be a really good amateur lol.

Basic
Enthusiast
I settled on the rokinon 16mm f/2.0 and rokinon 35mm f/1.4. The 16mm is $211 and the 35mm is $399. That left me with a enough money for a 7" external touch screen monitor. I may start doing how to classes in person for cosmetic making and rose gardening. I can use the monitor for video and I wanted to see if it would help me focus the lens for my star pictures. Instead of the little screen on the camera. Plus it has a histograma that is easier to see.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements