cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reccomendations on a mirrorless camera for wildlife photography

Sirius
Apprentice

I am seriously over due for an upgrade and a little overwhelmed with trying to make a decision. 

A while back I got my wife a Rebel T7 and I ended up being the one using it most. I really got it to wildlife photography and have been able to do quite a lot with this camera and a sigma contemporary 150-600mm lens. But I feel I've hit the ceiling with this body and know I need to upgrade. 

So I'm looking for guidance. I'd say 80% of what I shoot is wildlife, mostly mammals and raptors. The other 20% is landscape and astrophotography. I never cared much about landscape photography but one trip to Iceland was all it took to make me start. Since then I've been traveling a lot more and doing more landscape. 

So I'm looking for a mirrorless camera and I'm prepared to spend $3,500 on a body. I'd like something best for wildlife photography, especially for shooting in lower light and shooting birds in flight. But I'd also like it to be good for landscape. Something also good for making prints, and preferably something as close to weatherproof as I can get. Also, I need to be able to use an adapter so I can continue using my Sigma until I can upgrade lenses. 

I've been looking primarily at the R6 MarkII and the R5, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

1. R6mII has absolutely unbelievable AF speed and stickiness performance.  Can't speak to R5 comparison but definitely better than R7 although you can tell from the photos I've attached that the R7 is no slouch but R6mII is very very noticeably better.

2. R6mII in low light is unbelievable as well.  The night vision lighting shots I included are handheld at 1/60sec f4 ISO 64000 JPG zero problem.  The others are high ISO min lighting and fantastic as well.  Just caught the R5mII Canon vid and it is certainly going to be a beast and might bring the R5 prices down but I don't have either so again I can only speak to R6mII low light is beyond any expectation I've ever had in a camera (noticeably better and unsurprisingly better than the R7 but even the R7 does more for me than any DSLR body I've owned over the years).

Bottom line, all of these cameras are reaching performance levels that were unimaginable or unaffordable 5 years ago.C-130 12 Jul 24 0785 hersh.JPGC-130 12 Jul 24 0836 hersh.JPGCats and Planes 0280hersh.JPG

Cats and Planes 0643.JPGCats and Planes 0776.JPG

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Sirius,

I just looked it up (07/17/24), and the price for an R6 MarkII has been cut by almost $500 - down to $2,000. The R5 is running at $2,800.

You could get the R6 and use the extra money for lenses.

Don't let the Perfect become the enemy of the Good.

Steve Thomas

March411
Rising Star

I would agree with Steve, you can't go wrong with the R6 MkII at that price.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Personal Web Gallery
Announcements