cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6i

pma1123
Apprentice

I love my T6i but recently the view finder has fogged up so that I can not use it anymore.  I have tried to find out how much it would cost to fix it and I was told that it would be around $300.  So now I am not sure what I can do.  I have been thinking of buying a used T6 and I wonder if all my lens will fit another Rebel that is not a T6i.  Buying a new cmaera is difficult because I am on disability. 

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Tough call.  You might want to get two quotes for repair.

One from Canon and another from a dealer authorized to repair.

Not sure where you live?

MidWest Camera Repair - Canon Certified

Armed with that info, you can decide if the camera is worth repairing or if buying a refurb or something new is a better idea.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras#face...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Have you tried putting it above your water cylinder for a day or two?  The warm dry air eventually permeated the whole camera and dried the VF out.  A friend of mine had a similar issue and that did the trick.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you, I do not have a water cylinder.  But, thank you for the good idea

I might try a heating pad. 

A Water Cylinder or what we call a Water Heater here in the US, gets pretty hot..  At least mine does.  Its top gets hot enough to melt the body of a camera.  Its your equipment.  I'd take care if you decide to try this.  (any extrememe heat sources) 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I put it above my water heater all day and nothing happened. Of course, I have a >95% efficient tankless on-demand water heater. 8^)

@kvbarkley wrote:

I put it above my water heater all day and nothing happened. Of course, I have a >95% efficient tankless on-demand water heater. 8^)

Getting the moisture out will take days.  The issue you have in facing the camera down (obviously to avoid dust ingress) is that, while it will let dry heat in, (which is a pure gas) it will not let out moisture, which is a larger molecule.  So, I suggest that in your case you put the one of the fabric (not plastic) bags that would normally wrap your camea body: they are not inclined to shed hairs and will be less likely to lever deposits in the camera box. (if you no longer have one, talk to your camera shop).

Any low heat source will do.. If you have cupboard heater then use that inside a smaller volume.  Even consider a low-energy bar heater inside an enclosed larger space - like a cupboard.  Keep the camera away from diect contact from such an energy source.  I would not place the camera face down - the evaporating moisture is not likely to leave the camera box - hot air rises and takes moisture with it, so have he camera upside-down and tilted around 45 deg to the horizontal.   If the energy source is very low, this process will take days.

Where you cannot use heat, for whatever reason, then placing the camera in the same wrap and placing it in a large bowl with rice should work - rice attracts moisture.  I have seen this work with cell phones and I did something similar with a camera of a friend who flooded his.  In this case, because the rice will suck moisture, you could place the camera vertically.  In the end if you do get some dust in your camera, the worst that will happen is you have to give it a clean, which is a much more conventional issue.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I am in Connecticut. I haven't stopped by a repair shop, but I did call one and they said that the repair will cost about $300. The sad partr besides the cost is that yhis camera is my baby and I always keep it in a case when not using it to protect it.  The only thing wrong with it is the view finder.  I have used the video screen to take pictures, but I have been told during a photography class not to rely on using that to take pictures

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
No problem. You just raise it up abovevthe thing or put it besise itm udually they are in a closet so anywhere inside should do. I gather OP does not have one, but any dry place over time should work.
Another option is to place the body in rice. It pulls out the moisture. Obviously one puts a lens cap on the camera - in case you thought otherwise. ☺

cheers, TREVOR

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I would remove any lens while the camera dries out. Lay the camera face down, but also allow air to reach the mirror box.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements