cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6 SportMode AF Questions

tj2barker
Apprentice

I am trying to use my Rebel T6 to take pictures of my Grandsons playing baseball.  I am using the Sportmode with AF using continuous shooting.  However, I am findng that the camera isnt focusing on my subject even though I have it centered.  It seems to want to focus on more of the background.  I would prefer the focus point be cenetered in the middle rather than measuring the whole picture.  Any suggestions.  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can switch to one of the Creative Shooting Modes, which allow you to define how the AF system behaves.  I recommend P mode or Av mode.  

You will need a fast shutter speed for sports.  Look at the exposure settings that Sport Mode is using.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can switch to one of the Creative Shooting Modes, which allow you to define how the AF system behaves.  I recommend P mode or Av mode.  

You will need a fast shutter speed for sports.  Look at the exposure settings that Sport Mode is using.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks.  I will give this a try.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you select Av mode with a fixed aperture the T6 will select the fastest SS it can for best exposure. You can turn off all the outer focus points and use just the center point. This is how I and most pros shoot sports. They do not use Sports Mode. A pro level camera does not even have a Sport Mode at all.

In Sports Mode the T6 is guessing on what you want. Sometime it does pretty well but not always. Another setting I am liking more and more is Auto ISO.

So our settings might be AV mode. Set lens to f4 - f5.6 or whatever aperture you need. Camera takes care of the SS. Set Auto ISO. You can set a low SS limit so it keeps SS high enough for best action stopping. Auto ISO will compensate.

If it is a night time game you may hit the ability of a T6 and kit lens to take a good photo as all photographic gear has limits as to what it can do. Good shooting to you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh, one last thing shoot, Raw file format not jpg. You can d/l the very good post editor DPP4 from Canon. It is free. You probably already u/l photos to your computer. DPP4 will do that and convert the files into jpg automatically but allowing you a great deal of editing ability. You can increase/decrease exposure. Add sharpening and lens correction, etc. Best part you can crop out parts of the photo you either don't want or emphasize the parts you do want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements