cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5 Issues...Need Advice

jan336
Apprentice

After practicing with this camera since December, I cannot get the hand of any of the features other than the basic A+ mode. Not only that, but there is huge amount of purple fringe. Makes me mad.

The other features either take blurry pics (even when focused) or the shutter takes so long to engage that the pictures look like I was drunk when I took them.

Then the flash drama. In the A+ basic mode, it tends to apply the flash when I least expect it to. Then when I need the flash it wont engage. GRRr!

Any help or advice is appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

@jan336 wrote:

After practicing with this camera since December, I cannot get the hand of any of the features other than the basic A+ mode. Not only that, but there is huge amount of purple fringe. Makes me mad.

The other features either take blurry pics (even when focused) or the shutter takes so long to engage that the pictures look like I was drunk when I took them.

Then the flash drama. In the A+ basic mode, it tends to apply the flash when I least expect it to. Then when I need the flash it wont engage. GRRr!

Any help or advice is appreciated.

The purple fringing (often a symptom of chromatic aberration) is probably due to a crappy lens and unrelated to your other complaints. However, if you shoot in RAW mode and use a good photo editor, fringing can sometimes be reduced.

The rest of your problems suggest that you simply don't know what you're doing. If you haven't read the instruction manual, start doing so. If you have read the manual, try signing up for night classes at your local community college or trade school. If you're lucky, you'll have an excellent instructor who can set you on the right path.

There's a reason why professional photographers get paid for what they do. It isn't as easy as it looks. Flash, in particular, is sophisticated and tricky these days. Learning through random trial is a slow and very iffy process.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Actually the lens is a Canon 75/300 is that considered bottom grade?

"... Canon 75/300 is that considered bottom grade?"

Yes, this is an entry level lens that is designed for cost before quality.  It is going to be more difficult to use for several reasons.

Let's establish that the other "kit" lens and the camera are working correctly first.  Green square and AF.  Outside on a nice day.  Snap a few.

One problem with the 75-300mm is 300mm is very hard to hold still.  It is for anybody not just beginners.  Add to that a less than perfect lighting situation and blurry pictures are the result.  Treated right even this lens can do a nice job.  Thousands and thousands of them do every day.  You can as well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Reading the manual is always a good idea and even photography courses are good.  They can be great fun, too.  I have taught several and I always had a very good time.

But let's try a quick fix.  Put the T5 on the green square and the lens on AF.  Which lens do you have. BTW?

Go outside on a nice day and snap a few.  These should be very good.  If they show an extreme amount of purple fringing, you may have a faulty lens that needs to be replaced.  It should have a warranty.

Indoors and flash are more involved so let us establish this is working correctly before we tackle the tough stuff.  OK?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

See if this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INC-kZKWVKY

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Jan.

I had similar issues with motion-blurry shots when I first started shooting with a camera more advanced than a point-and-shoot. Everything works great outside in bright daylight because there is so much light to work with there is no need to compromise to get a good exposure. If you go into dimmer light, there are compromises to be made in one or more of the 3 elements of the "exposure triangle".

A good picture is properly exposed, meaning there is the right amount of light allowed in to bake the image onto the sensor. You can control 3 things to make this happen: the amount of time allowed for the light to bake the image onto the sensor (shutter speed), the width the lens opens up (aperture) and the sensitivity of the camera's sensor to light (the ISO setting).

Look on the Internet for videos on the "exposure triangle". There are lots and lots that are like 4 to 10 minutes long and free to watch. I grabbed this one for you but look around at several and maybe some make more sense to you personally.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NhJua5NFA

As for the blur inside, your camera picked a shutter that was too slow. It did that because it needed more light to get a proper exposure and it had already opened your lens up as wide as it goes. A better lens with a wider aperture opening would have allowed more light into the camera, so the camera could have used a quicker shutter speed, which would have frozen the motion of the subjects and would also have prevented bulr from camera shake from your hands. Alternatively, a higher ISO setting would have reduced the amount of light the sensor needed to make the image, again letting you have a faster shutter speed.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

rebeckyfnp1
Apprentice

I own a cannon rebel eos t5. I am trying to get into photography.  I am trying to use my camera but every time I try to take pictures on any setting I get a message "this function is not aviable on this setting"  I am unable to take any pictures.  Please does anyone have advice as to how to get my camera working. 

Many thanks in advance for any assistance on helping me use and understand this camera!

rebecca

Set the lens on AF and the camera on green auto. Go outside in midday. If the camera won't take a photo under these conditions it's going to need service. 

Google "canon eos rebel t5 youtube" and you can find many videos to help you. 

Plus, the camera manual is a valuable resource. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements