cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T4i

bcphoto
Apprentice

Good afternoon,

I've had my Rebel for a few years now and it has been well loved. Recently I returned from a tropical trip to realize the back buttons (the Av/ +-, Q/printer & camera button) won't work. I click on them and nothing pops up on the screen. The screen actually stays black the whole time unless it's cleaning the sensor and or I'm looking at a picture or the menu. Every other button on the back is workable and pulls up whatever it's designated for on the screen, except those 3 that are all close together.

I'm not sure if there's something I can do before I send it to Canon to get fixed. (I'm assuming there might have been some moisture or jostling happen on route home from our trip.)

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Reset it to factory defaults.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

Try the reset first (if you can even do it), but I suspect a trip to Canon might be it it's future. 

You checked the "info" button to make sure you didn't just turn the screen off?

Then you'll have to decide if it's worth sending to Canon.  I'm sure you're looking at $300+ for repairs, if they'll even do it (presuming it's water damage).  You can probably get a refurbished on for that price.  If I chose not to send it in then personally I'd open up the case and give it a good clean with IPA (isopropanol, not beer) and Qtips.  Then let it sit in rice for a few days.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements