cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3i card issue

Debbie13
Contributor

I'm getting the following reading when I turn my Rebel T3i camera on: "Card's write protect switch is set to lock." This is incorrect. I've successfully used the same card in other Canon cameras as well as trying other cards in the T3i. It is definitely a camera issue. Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem and make the camera usable again? I'm the yearbook advisor at a small school and we can't really afford to buy a new camera. Really need to make this one function again. Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

AllenP
Contributor

Did you validate that the switch on the side of the card was not set to read only?  There should be a slide switch between "locked" and "unlocked". That is the first thing I would check.  Other than that, it is beyond me.  

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is it a real SD card or a microcard with adapter?

Debbie13
Contributor
Thank you AllenP. That actually is the first thing I checked and there switch is in the "unlocked" position.

Kvbarkley, it is a real SD card. Any ideas?

You can look in the slot and see anything obvious, or here are some ideas:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/305830/when+I+turn+on+the+camera+it+say+memory+card+locked

Thanks for taking the time to try to help! I tried all your suggestions, as well as those in the link that you provided. Nothing has worked, so it looks like its time to find a camera repair shop and see if there's anything that can be done. Thanks again!!

"Is it a real SD card or a microcard with adapter?"

You did not answer this.  If it is a micro SD card throw it in to the round file right now!  Buy a real full size SD card.  No matter if the micro worked in other devices or not.

If it is a full size SD card call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Is it a real SD card or a microcard with adapter?"

You did not answer this.  If it is a micro SD card throw it in to the round file right now!  Buy a real full size SD card.  No matter if the micro worked in other devices or not.

If it is a full size SD card call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

Sure she did, she answered two of us in the same reply.

"Kvbarkley, it is a real SD card. Any ideas?"

Yes, it is a full sized, real SD card. I will give that number a call. Thank you!

Yes, it is a full sized, real SD card. I will give that number a call. Thank you!

Announcements