cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T2i, Remote Live View with non-stock USB cable

jwday
Contributor

Hi Community,

I'm using a Rebel T2i and trying to get the Live View function to work. Unfortunately, I have lost the USB to Mini-B cable that originally came with the camera, so I went and bought a USB to Mini-B cable from Best Buy. When I plugged the camera into the computer using this cable, the computer detected the camera but the EOS Utility did not (it remained on the screen that says "Connect an EOS camera").

Could the reason for this be the USB cable itself? Do I need to have the original cable that came with my camera? I've never used Live View before, but from what I read online, it should just be a matter of plugging the camera into the computer via USB and running the EOS Utility.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz

USB cable is USB cable, it doesn't matter. What version of EOS utility do you use? What is your OS? Instruction here: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300007456/03/eu211w3-en.pdf on page 28.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn wrote:

USB cable is USB cable, it doesn't matter. What version of EOS utility do you use? What is your OS? Instruction here: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300007456/03/eu211w3-en.pdf on page 28.

Mostly.

I have had some issues with USB cables that do not have a ferrite bead filter (the cylinder on one end of the cable).  And the issues I have with it were within EOS utility.  It kept dropping me.

Unlikely that this is it, but thought I'd share my experience.  Swapping out for another cable fixed the issue immediately.  I've had it happen on more than one un-filtered USB cable.  YMMV.

@Skirball wrote:

@hsbn wrote:

Mostly.

I have had some issues with USB cables that do not have a ferrite bead filter (the cylinder on one end of the cable).  And the issues I have with it were within EOS utility.  It kept dropping me.

Unlikely that this is it, but thought I'd share my experience.  Swapping out for another cable fixed the issue immediately.  I've had it happen on more than one un-filtered USB cable.  YMMV.

I can understand. From my personal experience and from people around me, I've never encountered a cable problem (but I always checked really careful when buying to make sure I get the RIGHT cable, Amazon is a big help 'cuz people ask a lot of question) even though I always buy cheap cable 'cuz I thought cable is cable no need to spend more: ).

I guess it's just my luck, and I keep my finger cross so none of the cable fails on me when I need it the most.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

"USB cable is USB cable". That's what I figured, but it hasn't been working on my desktop. Just tested it using my laptop and it works like a charm. So the issue isn't the USB cable, but instead it's something about my desktop itself.

Using Windows 8.0, EOS Utility v. 2.14.1, already ran update from Canon website.

*Edit*

Hmm...after browsing through the files on the desktop, I found a folder labeled "EU2", and saw a file in there labeled "EOS Utility 2" and ran that. It completely bypassed the EOS Utility Launcher and put me on the utility screen for Control Camera and Accessories. And when I turn my camera on....voila! Works like a charm. But what's going on? Why are there two separate exes? I'm so confused...

@jwday wrote:

"USB cable is USB cable". That's what I figured, but it hasn't been working on my desktop. Just tested it using my laptop and it works like a charm. So the issue isn't the USB cable, but instead it's something about my desktop itself.

Using Windows 8.0, EOS Utility v. 2.14.1, already ran update from Canon website.

*Edit*

Hmm...after browsing through the files on the desktop, I found a folder labeled "EU2", and saw a file in there labeled "EOS Utility 2" and ran that. It completely bypassed the EOS Utility Launcher and put me on the utility screen for Control Camera and Accessories. And when I turn my camera on....voila! Works like a charm. But what's going on? Why are there two separate exes? I'm so confused...

There are now two versions of the EOS Utility: 2 and 3. Version 3 (released in June) runs only on 64-bit OSes and supports only Canon's full-frame cameras. But if you actually try to use Version 3 with, say, a 7D, it does work, telling you, IIRC, that you're using Version 2. Evidently Version 3 has an overall shell that looks at your camera and brings up Version 2 if it (the camera) isn't natively supported by Version 3.

2.14.1 (dated July 14) is the latest release of Version 2. It's probably the one used by Version 3 to handle non-FF cameras. The name "EU2" of the executable module probably differentiates it from a parallel module ("EU3"?) used by Version 3 on FF cameras. There may even be an overall shell that looks at your camera and "decides" to call the EU2 module just as Version 3 does.

Moreover, since the shell (if I'm right) is what looks at the camera, it's likely the cause of your problem. For whatever reason, it doesn't recognize your camera as one that can use EU2, so it doesn't call it. But that's presumably a bug in the code; so when you bypassed the shell, everything worked as intended.

Just a guess, but I'll stand by it until somebody comes up with a better one. Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Once upon a time, I picked what I *thought* was a normal USB to micro-USB... and it turned out it was a cable designed for "charging only" (it didn't actually wire the data pins.)    I will say... such cables are probably unusual and the vast majority of USB cables are going to have all pins wired.

I do have some third party cables that I use... and they do work fine.  Mine does happen to have the ferrite collar.  I have a few others that I sometimes use, but they're very short cables.

You may need to try a different cable.

ALSO... I've had quite a number of issues with USB hubs.  There is a very big difference between plugging a device directly to a USB port on the computer... and plugging it into a port on a USB hub.  I FINALLY found a "reliable" USB hub (everything plugged into that particular brand/model hub worked as well as when it was plugged into the computer.)  Unfortunately... the company that made it discontinued that particular model <sigh>.    My point here is, if you're having trouble with any USB device, it's strongly recommended that you test by plugging the device directly into the computer -- avoiding the use of a USB hub.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... it should just be a matter of plugging the camera into the computer via USB and running the EOS Utility."

It is.   Try a diferent cable and plug directly into your computer (try a differnt port).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements