cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to Upgrade...T2i to what?

NSPhoto
Apprentice

Hi guys! I'm ready to go BIG and upgrade from my current and first professional camera, the rebel T2i. I'm thinking the 6D, because the 5d3 is a bit too much for me. I'm just wondering if I should consider the 7D or go with the newer 6D?

31 REPLIES 31

Skirball
Authority

What do you shoot?  Why are you upgrading?   Where is your camera lacking?

Nobody can tell you what to upgrade to, but if you give us some background we can at least form an educated guess.  I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you to just get the 5d3.

Short Answer: 

If noise level and high ISO ability is very important to you, and you mostly shoot still life, get the 6D.

If you shoot moving subjects, sports, usually have good lighting, and can use crop factor as an advantage...  get the 7D.

If you like to do a bit of it all, you have to chose which is more important to you: image quality (at higher ISO) or tracking moving subjects.  IMO the AF on the 6D isn't as bad as the hype on the internet, but I learned on a 400D, so I guess I don't know how good it is.

Make sure you give some thought to lenses and that cost associated with going FF.  It's not universally better, crop has its advantages too.  7D is a fantastic camera. 

Save some money and get the 5DMIII.
Ok, the joke is over. Like Skirball said, if you like sport and wildlife photography, 7D is the one to get. But if you want top notch image quality for every day use 6D is a clear winner or the cheaper 5DMII is also good. I find the AF on the 6D is pretty good for me. I'm doing mostly wedding and event stuffs to fund for my travel/landscape passion and I think the 6D is pretty good for the job.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I was looking at the 7d but I don't like the fact that it does NOT use an SD card. I think Canon is upgrading this camera (along with a few others) this year

"I was looking at the 7d but I don't like the fact that it does NOT use an SD card."

This is one of those things you must weight before you buy. All my Canon bodies (4) use the CF card so I try to stay with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Until they invent SD cards with higher write speeds than those available in the CF form don't expect high burst rate cameras to use SD cards. I don't suggest limiting your choice in cameras by the card it uses.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I wanted to get the 7D and install the eye-fi card for wireless photo upload but realized it wasn't compatible because it did not use SD card. So I am leaning towards EOS 60D. I think the newer high end expensive cameras (ie, EOS 6D) are using SD cards also.

Mr. cipico is correct. The 7D and the flagship model 1D X both use the CF cards. The 5D Mk III is able to use either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ctn830 wrote:
I wanted to get the 7D and install the eye-fi card for wireless photo upload but realized it wasn't compatible because it did not use SD card. So I am leaning towards EOS 60D. I think the newer high end expensive cameras (ie, EOS 6D) are using SD cards also.

Cicopo is right, don't choose a camera based on cards, it's a realively minor expense in the grand view of things.

That said, yes the 6D has SD cards and suppords SDXC, which has narrowed the gap on read/write speeds between SD and CF.  However, I think the impact on use is fairly neglible either way (with the exception of the 5d3 which is known to record slowly with an SD card but that's a camera issue).  The biggest advantage of SD cards, for me, is the ability to pull them out and pop them in my computer - and hopefully in the future, a tablet.

I too have a Canon T2i and I am thinking of upgrading to either a 70D or the 6D.  I'm a big canon fan, but I'm wishing they would start offering more of the types of solutions that Sony is coming out with.  Having said that, I'm looking for a camera that will focus faster in lower light. The fps rate isn't a concern as the T2i has served fine in that area for shots of our kids.  However, I'm always pining for faster lenses to capture action and focus faster in average lighting.

My wife also wants a faster focus when she uses it in auto mode.  I have tried both, but I can't tell if the lenses are making the difference in focus speed or the subject or the camera.  I'm excited to move up to FF, but at the same point, I have the 55-250 EF-S IS, the 18-55 kit lens (yuk), a Sigma 18-250 IS HSM (vintage 2011 is good all-rounder for vacation) for APS-C only, the 40mm IS STM pancake for crop (cool little lens) and the only EF I have is the 50mm 1.4 (really like this).

I primarly use the all-rounder (my wife doesn't want to be limited by zoom) or I personally use the 40mm pancake and 50mm prime for shots of the kids (age 3 and 9 months).  I'm not a pro, nor do I want to be.  However, I LOVE having pro-level candids of the family without hiring a photographer to follow me around.  I shoot mostly in the aperture or shutter priority modes as I'm either aiming for bokeh or stopping some action.

I like the size of the Sony's but I've got a lot invested in Canon and I like Canon IQ and noise. I'm probably going to stay with Canon, but might pick up a NEX 6 for travel unless Canon updates the Eos M to a reasonably responsive camera soon.

You can take back all the things you give, but you can't take back the days you live...
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements