Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

iraaj10731
Apprentice

Just purchased a Canon T7i.

Love the camera.

Is Canon out of their mind? $75.00 for a battery.

Bought two generic batteries for under $20 with charger.

The camera works but does not recognize the battery level on the indicator.

I will use them as spares and know that I can take about 25o images on a charge.

Any thoughts on this?

21 REPLIES 21

iraaj10731
Apprentice

Does anyone know how to work around the fact that Canon wants $75.00 for an LP 10 battery for this camera? Slightly less at Hunts Photo and Video.

I bought generics. They work, but the camera does not recognize the battery and shows full discharge on the indicator.

And now you know why.

Penny wise and pound foolish !  Use genuine Canon batteries because problems can become even worse.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have two or three 3rd-party batteries because B&H threw them in with cameras I bought there. And those have never given me any trouble. But with just any 3rd-party battery, you can never be sure what you're getting. It's safer to stick with Canon.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I know it's convenient for Canon to say this, but they would never endorse a third-party battery in their cameras.  btw: It is a shame that the Canon battery life in these cameras is not up to par with what users expect, even when using an external flash.  Using an external flash, I was getting more shots on my older G10 than with the 77D.  Yes, I know the sensor is larger and the demands of the 77D's processing is larger, but why not take that into account when you decide what battery strength you are going to put in the 77D?  I honestly believe it's a ploy by Canon to make you upgrade to an 80D and that stinks.  I mean, if the only reason I'm upgrading to an 80D is because the battery lasts longer is just not a great reason for spending more money on a camera that I don't really want, except for its battery life.

@pcdarcan wrote:

I know it's convenient for Canon to say this, but they would never endorse a third-party battery in their cameras.  btw: It is a shame that the Canon battery life in these cameras is not up to par with what users expect, even when using an external flash.  Using an external flash, I was getting more shots on my older G10 than with the 77D.  Yes, I know the sensor is larger and the demands of the 77D's processing is larger, but why not take that into account when you decide what battery strength you are going to put in the 77D?  I honestly believe it's a ploy by Canon to make you upgrade to an 80D and that stinks.  I mean, if the only reason I'm upgrading to an 80D is because the battery lasts longer is just not a great reason for spending more money on a camera that I don't really want, except for its battery life.

Frankly, I don't follow this argument. If you are a professional event or wedding photographer, you are not using a 77D. If you are not a professional event or wedding photographer, the brief time it takes to change a battery (assuming you have two functional hands) is hardly an issue. Yes, the 77D is underpowered. But that makes it lighter and cheaper, which appeals to some. If it doesn't appeal to you, don't buy one. Canon has an extensive product line, whereof the 80D is merely one example. But if nothing in that product line, including the 80D, meets your needs, look elsewhere. No company can be everything to everyone, although Canon comes closer than most.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...Canon comes closer than most."

Dang staright!  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Okay, you can get off your high horse now buddy.  I can see you have missed MANY a shot at events and just don't care.  That's not me!  I want every shot that "I see as desirable".  The Canon EOS 77D appealed to me BECAUSE of it's lighter weight.  That's an easy decision.  In case you are living under a rock or something, do you know how many people shoot EVENTs with prosumer cameras?  Plenty. So, that case is closed.  I certainly understand FULLY that no camera will ever be perfect, but battery life is ALWAYS a key point for EVENT shooters because they will all tell you that uncomfortable situation when they had to change a battery while the subjects waited UNCOMFORTABLY while you do this.  It can change the dynamic And, while it's true you can try to anticipate these changes, it sure is nice when you don't have to WORRY about it, while you concentrate on all the great shots you want to take.  I don't think asking for a more powerful battery in this camera is asking too much.  May I ask, do you work for Canon or do you have stock in their company?  Geez, you really do miss the point here.  I just told you that my G10 gets more shots than the 77D that I returned (both using the same external flash) AND you actually are coming to the defense of Canon on that point?  Are you real?

@pcdarcan wrote:

Okay, you can get off your high horse now buddy.  I can see you have missed MANY a shot at events and just don't care.  That's not me!  I want every shot that "I see as desirable".  The Canon EOS 77D appealed to me BECAUSE of it's lighter weight.  That's an easy decision.  In case you are living under a rock or something, do you know how many people shoot EVENTs with prosumer cameras?  Plenty. So, that case is closed.  I certainly understand FULLY that no camera will ever be perfect, but battery life is ALWAYS a key point for EVENT shooters because they will all tell you that uncomfortable situation when they had to change a battery while the subjects waited UNCOMFORTABLY while you do this.  It can change the dynamic And, while it's true you can try to anticipate these changes, it sure is nice when you don't have to WORRY about it, while you concentrate on all the great shots you want to take.  I don't think asking for a more powerful battery in this camera is asking too much.  May I ask, do you work for Canon or do you have stock in their company?  Geez, you really do miss the point here.  I just told you that my G10 gets more shots than the 77D that I returned (both using the same external flash) AND you actually are coming to the defense of Canon on that point?  Are you real?

The EOS 77D is NOT a prosumer camera.  Period.  The undersized battery is one reason why I say that.  But, other manufacturers suffer from comparable battery issues with most mirrorless cameras.  

You are comparing apples to oranges, IMHO.  Mirrorless vs DSLR.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements