cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw darker than jpeg 6D

MIFD118
Apprentice

Hi, I have searched the internet & read many posts here about what seems to be a problem I am not alone in experiencing. But I have yet to find an answer that fits my situation.

I generally only shoot in RAW with all my cameras & never noticed an issue. Recently I sent my 6D in to Canon for cleaning, new software update etc. 

Expecting the settings to be reset to default with the software update I reset my back focus button, RAW only & general preferences.

A few test shots & they look great on camera, import them on to my PC & first view in windows photos they go darker. Run the file through PD & still looks under exposed.

Setting back to RAW & JPEG, again the exposure on camera looks good, import to PC & JPEG's look correct, RAW still too dark.

Test 3 other Canon cameras including an old T6i & no problems, RAW is properly exposed when imported. Meaning it is not the software on the PC, it is on camera where I am missing something.

Back to the 6D with different Canon & Sigma lenses, with & without fliters or hood, still JPEG's look correct, RAW is under exposed.

I have read many explanations of how software processes raw images & many technical lessons but with it only happening on this one camera back from service I cannot find what I am missing.

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP

This is usually the RAW processor. Since the Canon info is hard to decipher, the developers develop the RAW to their tastes. Which RAW processor are you using? Only DPP can make it look the same as the JPEG.

Hello, Thank you for the reply.

I have always used photodirector to run my RAW images after importing, only use Canon cameras and never had anything like this before.

I generally only shoot in RAW & not JPEG & have never had a problem like this with any of my other Canon cameras.

I have tested my other cameras shooting RAW they come out as expected on photodirector as thay always have for years.

Now my 6D comes back from cleaning & RAW comes out under exposed from expected. 

Why would the change be only with one camera?

Each sensor and A/D converter has its own characteristics so the RAW conversion parameters are different for each. My 1DX II and 1DX III bodies have sensors nearly identical in pixel resolution but extremely different in behavior and the RAW conversion of the 1DX III images uses far more computer resources.

Only Canon has all of the original design data so aftermarket software has to reverse engineer what Canon did and it isn't always perfect.

As a Canon owner, DPP is a free download and the RAW converter I always use.  If I need to do further work on an image in Adobe PS, I first convert the file to TIF using DPP.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you very much, I will give DPP a go, Though it will kind of suck if that I need download something else that I have never needed with any of my cameras & not with my 6D before the service.

I wonder what changed with my 6D after the service? Never had any issues like this before with it.

@MIFD118 wrote:

Thank you very much, I will give DPP a go, Though it will kind of suck if that I need download something else that I have never needed with any of my cameras & not with my 6D before the service.

I wonder what changed with my 6D after the service? Never had any issues like this before with it.

It just might be your JPEG settings in the camera are what's making the difference with JPG files created in the camera.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."

Peter
Authority

Some steps a raw converter needs to take before you start to edit the raw file.

1. Nothing applied

2. Color profile

3. Black level and white point set

4. White balance

5. Demosaicing

6. Tone curve

7. Highlight reconstruction

1.png

Skärmbild-2-input-colour-profile.png

Skärmbild-3-black-level.png

Skärmbild-4-white-balance.png

Skärmbild-6-demosaic.png

Skärmbild-7-tone-curve.png

Skärmbild-8-reconstruct-highlights.png

Very interesting, thank you.

I can only assume that when my 6D was updated to new software when serviced that something changed in the camera itself.

Nothing else explains why this would be happening now after service when it did not happen before & still does not happen with any of my other Canon cameras.

Peter
Authority
Upload raw samples before and after at a filehost.
Announcements