cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REBEL XT Camera Display/Monitor Issues

MysticalFaerie
Apprentice

So my mom gave me two cameras that she had, a Rebel XT and a Film version of that camera

(I forgot the name of the film camera but I'm not worried about that camera right now)

And I tried turning it on and the battery was low, so I decided to charge it over night - and when I looked at the manual, it seems that some stuff may not be showing up still? ( I thought charging the battery would give it more life and options )

MysticalFaerie_0-1699894652302.png

MysticalFaerie_1-1699894727567.png

As you can see the picture is VERY blurry, but I have:
- Full Battery
- Large/Normal Recording quality
- Single Shooting
- Metering Mode ON
- AUTO White Balance

When I move around and mess with the mode dial, nothing seems to be changing on the green display. Another thing to mention is when the camera is turned off, the display screen gets stuck until I take out the battery.

Considering there is a monitor on it, I would assume that would also be on? But I'm not sure if it displays what you are seeing through the lens, or displaying at all.

I have 0 clue how any old cameras work, and my mom said the display might be broken or busted - which sucks cause I tend to love vintage/almost vintage things that work properly.

But It's still freaking cool nonetheless, even if I can't take beautiful or goofy pictures on it.

Could anyone please tell me if I should get it fixed or if I'm just being silly goofy and dont know what I'm doing, I want it to work so bad.

Please let me know if I should reply with more pictures and or information about it. 

Thank you slaystiess

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Then, unfortunately, it's time to retire the ol girl. 😔

Give the Canon Upgrade Program folks a call at 866-443-8002. They're open weekdays from 9am to 9pm (ET). You qualify for a discount on a current model - they'll go over the specifics with you. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Stephen

This is an older unit. It doesn't have live view (where the image shows on the display WHILE you're shooting). It will show the image after you shoot, and it will show you menus.

Push the MENU button - does the LCD display light up & show you the menu on the back screen?

Thank you for responding so quickly!

No the LCD display does not light up at all, even if I press the capture button then press menu it still doesn't work.

Then, unfortunately, it's time to retire the ol girl. 😔

Give the Canon Upgrade Program folks a call at 866-443-8002. They're open weekdays from 9am to 9pm (ET). You qualify for a discount on a current model - they'll go over the specifics with you. 

Thank you so much for your help!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements